1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Giant XTC 2 Fork change?

I have a 2013 giant xtc 2 29er. I was wondering if I could change the fork to a higher mm? I have the rock shox recon 100mm on it now. Would changing the fork to a higher travel effect the frame or Geometry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's a 71.5 degree head tube angle XC bike with steep last gen geo. 120 will slacken it slightly and make it less twitchy on faster downhills. It will slow up the steering a bit. You can also use an angleset headset to change the HT angle. It probably will not hurt the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varcity23 View Post
    I have a 2013 giant xtc 2 29er. I was wondering if I could change the fork to a higher mm? I have the rock shox recon 100mm on it now. Would changing the fork to a higher travel effect the frame or Geometry?
    Generally, yes, going to a longer travel fork will effect the geometry. Some forks have a longer axle to crown (distance from center of axle to crown of fork) than others.

Your fork has 526mm Axle to Crown. The Manitou Tower pro has an a-c of 530mm so it would barely effect the geo of the bike.

I wouldn't go for much more than 120mm.