1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Giant trace is a pain, back pain that is.

When I first picked this bike up I loved it, Now that I am getting stronger and riding three times a week not loving it so much. My main issue is I am doing just more laps and longer trails and this thing is killing my lower back. I have my seat adjusted correctly, its centered on my post so the front of my knee is above the center of my pedals. Think I need new bars or shorter stem, Local guru says I fit the bike like a glove. And its prefect bombing my local single track once even twice, that third lap just beats me till I am cursing. I have a dropper post and I can drop it and the pain goes soon as it bottoms out but kinda hard to pedal like that for far. Riding buddy says a shorter and taller stem would take care of my problem but hes as new as I am so I am taking it for grains of salt. I ask which would be better, Bars with more up and back sweep or shorter taller stem? I have been thinking bar cause I would like just a bit more length in them so two birds with one stone, But would that get the job done 100%? And while talking about bars in stem how do I know whats on my bike? The spec sheet just says 31.8 lowrise giant connect, stem says just gaint connect.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Can you post a pic of your setup? I'm no doc, but I've had to make adjustments for the same reason.

Risers bars would probably be the best start, along with a shorter stem. The shorter stems generally don't have much room to rise, but I think they can get you up a little bit.

You might also have the seat tilted back too much. This can cause you to roll your pelvis away from the seat pain, and this rolls your back (flexion?). A properly fitted seat will help too, like Specialized. If the seat doesn't fit, you make adjustments with hips, etc., to get comfy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    These are pics I have at hand, Can get more if need be. The bike is the exact same besides the post, When I swaped the post I mounted the seat to the same degree on the new post with degree level, I did have to adjust it forward but when doing the string test it contacted the pedal in the same place.Giant trace is a pain, back pain that is.-imgp0002-800x600-.jpgGiant trace is a pain, back pain that is.-imgp0005-640x480-.jpgGiant trace is a pain, back pain that is.-imgp0006-640x480-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Try a shorter stem (50-60mm) and a higher rise bar (1.5-2")
    I had a similar issue, I put a 50mm kona jerk dh stem and a answer 720 am 2" rise bar (also move the stem sapcers up and down to find the best position for you) and it was amazing how much it changed how I fit the bike and how the bike handled and rode for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I found a gaint AM stem on jenson, 5 deg of rise 60 mm long for 25 bucks. I think I am going to pick it up unless someone says otherwise befor lunch tomorrow. As for bars, I am at a loss. From what I guess I figured out 31.8 dia, 670mm wide, and 25 rise maybe? How much rise should I try? And will under 50 bucks really get a decent set of bars? Seems like a lot I have looked on on that site are well under.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If youre tall and have broad shoulders, go with a wider bar, they also help with downhill, more stable.
    I have these, no complaints whatsoever, solid ass bar.
    Answer ProTaper 720mm AM Bar | Answer | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    $40 on sale

probably easier to order from one place;
    RaceFace Respond Stem | Race Face | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 2013 | TruVativ | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by pruitt1222 View Post
    These are pics I have at hand, Can get more if need be. The bike is the exact same besides the post, When I swaped the post I mounted the seat to the same degree on the new post with degree level, I did have to adjust it forward but when doing the string test it contacted the pedal in the same place.
    I think he meant a pic of you on the bike in riding position.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rider height and inseam? Frame size?

Just starting with the basics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    5'9", 32 inch inseam, 17" frame, 204 lbs. I am a granite countertop installer, Pretty broad and top heavy. I rode this morning with my buddy, I tilted the seat forward some and back some and same results. I pulled my post and did a swap wit my buddy, I liked his seat much better but still had the same old back pain. I think I am gonna get a wtb seat like his cause I felt much stronger with it. Giant trace is a pain, back pain that is.-imgp0010-800x600-.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im 5' 9", 31 inch inseam. I measure to a 23.5 inch top tube. I accidentally bought a bike with a 22.5 inch top tube. It has been killing my lower back, while my other two bikes I can ride for 5 hours just fine.

I had a weird 70mm stem with a huge angle which raised the bars. The bike shop guys said the raised stem should be easier on my back. I decided to switch to a 100mm stem to extend the cockpit 1" with no rise. I was able to ride 4 hours this weekend with no back pain.

I looked at specs and giant is showing 16" and 18" bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Im 5' 9", 31 inch inseam. I measure to a 23.5 inch top tube. I accidentally bought a bike with a 22.5 inch top tube. It has been killing my lower back, while my other two bikes I can ride for 5 hours just fine.

I had a weird 70mm stem with a huge angle which raised the bars. The bike shop guys said the raised stem should be easier on my back. I decided to switch to a 100mm stem to extend the cockpit 1" with no rise. I was able to ride 4 hours this weekend with no back pain.

I looked at specs and giant is showing 16" and 18" bikes
    Im with mojo here you look too upright

mtbr member
    The fact that you say the first two laps are no problem, but the third is where you feel it, leads me to believe it's core conditioning. I have the same problem every year coming off the winter break and it's the end of July before I can ride the 10-12 mile trail loops around here without low back pain cropping up. Perhaps my bike could fit me better also, but I know for me it's largely a conditioning issue.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    it's core conditioning
    ^^ this.

On your third lap, you're probably getting tired. Starting on your second or so, pay really close attention to your posture: make sure your back isn't curling and your head is up. A lot of people will recommend yoga, core exercises (crunches, dips, etc.) to help. I think that's all good advice, but it bores me crazy. Standing core based workouts like Beachbody's Insanity are a lot more fun (and harder).

I'm not speaking from a high horse: I have crap for posture, but I occasionally ride 10+ hours w/o pain. Making sure I ride "right" is key. If I tear out on my FS bike and rip it for an hour or two with no thoughts as to posture, I'll be curled over from a stiff lower back when I stand up.

You may also want to google for 'cycling psoas' - if the results show the muscle where you're feeling pain, there's a whole world of stretching and strengthening that can help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is that a 26" bike?

I am 5'9 with 32" inseam and recently attended a Giant Demo day....

I started off with a Medium Giant Anthem 27.5...it never felt quite right. The next bike I got on was a Large Trance (because the M wasn't available) and discovered that it was the correct size.

Sadly i got back with it after last call, however let me ride around the parking lot real quick on a Large Anthem and it felt correct...

So I'm wondering if your frame is too small... Just a thought.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Okay, I figured out your problem- you're riding in flip flops.

Guesstimating your knee angle from this pic, it looks like your seat could go a little higher. There are lots of theories on it, but I just put mine as high as possible without having to lean my butt on each pedal stroke.

I agree that the cockpit looks a little short for you. You might try skipping the string test, and just playing with seat position. Unfortunately, I think the peeps saying your frame is too small could be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7
    Do some core exercises.

<-- Fully recovered from two herniated disks (L4 and 5) and arthritis, and have no back pain whatsoever anymore, regardless of which bike I ride or how it's setup...all because of core workouts.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 7 29er
    2013 Trek Mamba 29er
    2013 Specialized Crosstrail 29er (hybrid)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Working out might help, lift all day at work and when I get home I just don't feel like it lol , As for bike size I thought it was a bit small for me but I liked it much better over the large. Zephxii, Yes its a 26. And goodmojo your right, I don't proof read that. It measures 17 7/8s so 18 inch. So if I am to up right I can just flip my stem down and may see a noticeable difference right?

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7
    Quote Originally Posted by pruitt1222 View Post
    Working out might help, lift all day at work and when I get home I just don't feel like it...
    There's your problem. You're always compressing your spine at the pivot point (core) and do nothing to strengthen your core to handle the weight.

If it's only 1-2 days a week, on your days off from work, do core exercises.

Heavy lifting job + adrenaline/extreme sport (MTBing) + poor core strength = lower back pain. Worst case scenario, back surgery soon.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 7 29er
    2013 Trek Mamba 29er
    2013 Specialized Crosstrail 29er (hybrid)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah you guys nailed it, Noticed after thinking about my position on my third lap today I was kinda bent weird and with in two miles of that form got the pain, I got back into good form and it stopped 10 minutes or so after. But shoot I was tired for holding tight on that last lap. Took a little break and got some Gatorade chews and water in me and took a 2 mile spin and felt great. So need a workout plan now, Thanks for the help everyone.