1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Giant talon 0 12 3x9 to 3x 10

Hey We just got a 2013 and 2012 giant talons 0's At a later time will there be any problems converting the 2012 to a 3x10 from the stock 3x9? So that both bikes can use the same spare parts after our first replacement?

mtbr member
    There will be no problems converting to 10spd besides the cost of buying new shifters, derailleurs, chain and cassette.

What level of components are you going to go with?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well I have a lot of time on a lot of low end bikes. But I am a newbie, this is the first time I have done any real research. My girl and I just got the two bikes, And are planing to ride 2 x 3 times a week. We plan to Up grade our forks first and then replace parts as they fail. as far as I can tell X7 is in a price range I can afford to replace and repair. I See a lot of guys that have X9 and up, but when they break a part there is no cash to replace the parts. I have not seen a thread on thinking about the cost of upkeep on bikes. could be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Our idea is to set the bikes with the same parts so that we can have a spare box of every thing at home, so we can fix any problem as we come across them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The cranks and front rings will work on either bike- 9 and 10 speed have the same width chain ring and inside chain dimension. So KMC X10 Ti chains will work with either bike with KMC 10 speed quick links. The Scram chain is not one I would use. Buy extra 10 speed chains and a Park master link tool for chain maintenance- the chain is one of the first things to be replaced.

mtbr member
    How is it going on the conversions?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about switching things over, but I did see that shimano SLX and XT are on super sale and am considering switching my X-7 to shimano. Shimano runs a lot quieter than SRAM and is better on my hand because of the trigger/ thumb combo- I out a knife through my hand so my left thumb isn't that strong to work the double thumb on the SRAM. Plus I just love the speed and precision of shimano. That is a total personal opinion though. Some people swear by SRAM others Shimano. I love Shimano personally, and i love that it is at such a good price right now. It is almost half off!! I love Sale stuff!!

The KMC X10 Ti chain is smooth and nice. I would use that with the master link for sure- Or Dura Ace... but I am on a budget and will use what I have until I feel like upgrading.

Don't worry too much about crashing and braking things. It happens a lot less than you would imagine. they make these bike parts pretty strong now a days. Keep usw up to date on what you decide. I always like to hear peoples decisions and why. It helps me in my business... so thank you to everyone who reads and repklies on these forums... you rock!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    why would you down grade from 3x9 to 3x10?
    thats a downgrade... dont fall for stupid marketing ploys.. 3x10 is not better than 3x9
    if anything you should go 2x10
    thats a real upgrade....
    there is no need for all those gears.. even a beginner doesnt need all of those..

EDR

Re: Giant talon 0 12 3x9 to 3x 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoots View Post
    why would you down grade from 3x9 to 3x10?
    thats a downgrade... dont fall for stupid marketing ploys.. 3x10 is not better than 3x9
    if anything you should go 2x10
    thats a real upgrade....
    there is no need for all those gears.. even a beginner doesnt need all of those..
    I wholeheartedly agree. 3 X 10 gains you nothing of any value. Might as well take that cash and toss it in the trash. You could spend that money on so many more useful items for your bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well I got crankbrother mallet race/dh pedals and a kronolog for my bike, the gf got Shimano PD-M545 spds, we got 4 specialized purgatory control a butcher and a ground controll tyre on back order at the lbs. I got some cheap ass coleman max bags with 2 liter bladders. We are going to have tons of fun soon as the snow is gone got to love central canada! Thanks guys I wont downgrade my girls bike. I think we need some manatou towers next,

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    much wiser decision
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    Well I got crankbrother mallet race/dh pedals and a kronolog for my bike, the gf got Shimano PD-M545 spds, we got 4 specialized purgatory control a butcher and a ground controll tyre on back order at the lbs. I got some cheap ass coleman max bags with 2 liter bladders. We are going to have tons of fun soon as the snow is gone got to love central canada! Thanks guys I wont downgrade my girls bike. I think we need some manatou towers next,

mtbr member
    ^^ Agree, if you have further questions regarding the Talon you can stop by the Giant subforum, plenty of Talon people there.