1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    May 2012

Giant Rincon

Hey everyone, I was going to buy myself a new Specialized Hardrock sport disc, however, I'm home for a few days now and my mom offered me her older (maybe 2005ish?) giant rincon. I'm thinking that since this will be my first bike, I should just take this bike and ride it for a while - especially to see if i like it - then continue saving and get a really nice bike later on. The rincon is really basic, 21 speed, suntour fork, v brakes, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds like good plan except, is their a height difference between you guys,? Might not be right frame size for u

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was actually afraid of the same thing, however, we're very close to the same size (i'm 5'9 she's 5'10) so it should be very close to the correct fit I would think

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd use it. Depends on if you want to invest in some tools and learn to wrench your own bike, but you also use this bike as a learning experience since a bke that old will need it.

eg.
    replace brake cables
    replace shifter cables
    grease wheel bearings
    true wheels
    adjust both derailleurs

Then, when you want to upgrade, it open's up the market to used bikes. Depending on area, 2-4 year used bikes on Craiglist/ebay tend to give the best value imho.

mtbr member
    Isn't the Hardrock a heavier bike? I think the Ricon is your best bet until you're ready to upgrade.