1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Giant Revel 1 or Kona Fire Mountain

Hey guys I'm looking for a XC/mountain bike and can't decided between these two:

KONAWORLD

Revel 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

The Kona is tad more expensive but seems to have better parts.

What do you think is better?

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ride some 29ers like--
    Revel 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada
    And the similar Kona bikes.
    Many have a Suntour fork designed for bike paths and easy trails. If you start riding more difficult/fun terrain you may be able to get an upgrade Raidon air fork from Nick at Suntour for 175+ship. Check with him about shipping to Canada.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a revel 1 that I purchased about 1 1/2 months ago that I got at my lbs. I think it's a great ride but if I can do it all over again I'd probably spend a little more money and do some more research(first mtb). I can't speak for the kona, but on my revel 1 the brakes are not that great and the xcm fork is a bit spongy. Only complaints I have that can easily be replaced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Giant Revel 1 or Kona Fire Mountain

Read some of the similar threads on here, you'll see that some of us recommend checking out the value brand like motobecane and airborne since you will end up with higher tier components at any price point. Eg your bike includes a dated 8 speed drivetrain while the airborne has 9 speed and higher tier derailleur s and shifters

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by james035 View Post
    I have a revel 1 that I purchased about 1 1/2 months ago that I got at my lbs. I think it's a great ride but if I can do it all over again I'd probably spend a little more money and do some more research(first mtb). I can't speak for the kona, but on my revel 1 the brakes are not that great and the xcm fork is a bit spongy. Only complaints I have that can easily be replaced.
    Come over to the Revel Thread - Revel Thread and we can fix that.

OP.... IMO, pick up the bike that feels great "to you" and within your budget.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks for all the input, i think im going to go with the revel 1 and buy some fast rolling continental slicks for the road.