1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: giant iguana

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

giant iguana

I think this is a 2004

Giant (Iguana) brand mountain bike

What do you guys think of this bike and the price?

I4NI
    VERY popular here!
    Last edited by S_Trek; 09-25-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post
    VERY popular here!
    Sweet im currently waiting for him to email me back so i can go see how it feels

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I think this is a 2004
    Looks more like a 2003 model: BikePedia - 2003 Giant Iguana Disc Complete Bicycle

The 2004 model had some red on it: BikePedia - 2004 Giant Iguana Complete Bicycle

There's not much difference between the two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would be very cautious. The ad states 21sp parts. Bikepedia shows 27 (24 for the 03).

Plus, it's fairly old. I wouldn't pay more than 150 if I wanted something like that and it was perfect.

mtbr member
    I have an 04' Iguana, it's midnight blue, has 27 speeds and a Rockshox Pilot fork. I saved the Giant website from then and don't see other color options. However, Giant has been know to have "spring and fall collections".
    The frame is the same, but it look like an older model based on the fork. It's a great bike, I'd clarify the 21 speed which may indicate they took the better stuff off. Either way, the frame is great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    I have an 04' Iguana, it's midnight blue, has 27 speeds and a Rockshox Pilot fork. I saved the Giant website from then and don't see other color options. However, Giant has been know to have "spring and fall collections".
    The frame is the same, but it look like an older model based on the fork. It's a great bike, I'd clarify the 21 speed which may indicate they took the better stuff off. Either way, the frame is great.
    @RSabarese, I have blue giant iguana, with rockshox pilot, and 27 speed. Do you know the bottom bracket type and size used on it?

mtbr member
    Sorry, I don't have forums subscriptions on so I missed your post. I upgraded my crank to a Truvati and used a 68MM X 113MM when I had it. My original one was a square taper same size, you can verify that by removing a crank bolt and looking at the spindle (you will need a puller to get the crank off but you only need to look not pull ).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I got the size by removing the cranks. the bike was at school and I was going to order it from local bike shop near home, so I was looking online for the specs of the bike and there wasn't any. So, I thought maybe someone with the bike could help.
    Thanks!