1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Giant AC - Beginner!

I've just bought myself a new (to me) Giant AC. I'd like to start getting into Downhill, and even though the AC isn't the best, it fit my skills and budget (got it very cheap). Now I'm a complete bike noob, so I'd just like a bit of advice.

Here are the specs the owner gave me, I'm not sure which parts are standard and which are aftermarket:

Giant AC frame
    Stance blunt 150mm Forks
    Alex rims
    Azotec Bar
    High Volume Rear Shock (not sure on brand?)
    Sram x7 gears and derailleur
    Shimano Hubs
    Single front gear
    Truvativ Hussefelt Crank Arms
    Upgraded Crank (???)
    Hayes Rear Brakes
    Avid Juicy 3 Front Brakes

Now I don't know these brands, or even what a few of the components are. If I wanted to get the bike up to decent spec so it's durable and reliable for light DH and general riding around, what should I look at first? The shocks seem to have a fair bit of travel but that just might be how it's setup.

I'm going to be taking it to get a service tonight as I want to make sure the bike is in perfect running order before ripping down a mountain on it.

Any tips and recommendations is much appreciated, the frame looks to be in good nick, and looks quite nice.

Cheers

Giant AC - Beginner!-img_0123.jpg

mtbr member
    The bike certainly LOOKS well up to the task, from that picture.
    If by "Downhill" you mean "Red Bull" then it will be lacking somewhat, but for anything else it looks like a great starter bike.

Once you start riding, you may notice some areas where the bike could be better, but let's face it that is always going to happen!

As time goes on, you can upgrade parts. But for now, take the bike to your local course and have some fun with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    The bike certainly LOOKS well up to the task, from that picture.
    If by "Downhill" you mean "Red Bull" then it will be lacking somewhat, but for anything else it looks like a great starter bike.

Once you start riding, you may notice some areas where the bike could be better, but let's face it that is always going to happen!

As time goes on, you can upgrade parts. But for now, take the bike to your local course and have some fun with it.
    Thanks for the response. I imagine over time, I'll notice somethings that could be improved like you said. I'm an absolute beginner with downhill, and have only ridden light trails - just worried I may not pick up on something very amiss.

Not sure what you mean by "Red Bull" though!

What are some popular upgrades for the AC frame?

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by xthrillhouse View Post
    Thanks for the response. I imagine over time, I'll notice somethings that could be improved like you said. I'm an absolute beginner with downhill, and have only ridden light trails - just worried I may not pick up on something very amiss.

Not sure what you mean by "Red Bull" though!

What are some popular upgrades for the AC frame?
    this is redbull

probably not what you are going to do but then hey you never know.

but I would only upgrade as things wear out on the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You guys have reached for a new low.