1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Giant AC 1 Upgrade

Hey guys,

I'm new to the MTB and don't know as much as I do about other thing but I guess there is only one way to learn.

I am looking to upgrade by Giant AC 1 which I have recently brought for 140 pounds. It was in a pretty bad shape so there is quite a lot that I need to upgrade/replace.

I have currently replaced rear wheel to Shimano M475 Hub on Mavic XM317 Rimand brakes to Shimano Deore M615.

I need to replace the whole drivetrain as it skips but I'm not exactly sure what to buy.

I was looking at buying:
    Shimano SLX M665 Double Chainset

Shimano SLX M665 Double Chainset | Chain Reaction Cycles

Shomano XT M770 9 speed cassette

Shimano XT M770 9 Speed MTB Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles

and I've already brought SRAM PC971 for now as it was on offer.

So my questions are ....
    Are the components I want to buy good and if so is the price right?
    Does anyone know what size BB Giant AC 1 has?

Thanks guys

Fat-tired Roadie
    I prefer to replace my drivetrains a piece at a time and only as necessary. In your shoes, for now I'd just put on the new chain and see if that's enough. Given that it skips, I wouldn't be surprised if you need the new cassette too, but don't get ahead of yourself.

That's probably also a more expensive cassette than you need, though I don't generally follow links and comparison shop for other people. The HG61 is already pretty nice, and the SRAM 960 or 970 is pretty good from that brand, and often cheaper.

You probably don't need a whole new crank. The chainrings on most cranks are replaceable. See if you still have skipping or trouble with shifting with the new chain before you spend anything, then price just replacing the affected rings against replacing the whole thing.

You probably have a 68 mm English-threaded bottom bracket. Pull out the one you've got and have a look.

It's also kind of a waste to throw a bunch of money at a drivetrain and not take a little time to tune up what you've got and maybe replace the shift cable housings. Check out the articles on parktool.com, and start there. If your shift cables are looking skanky, go to a shop and get them to sell you new housings and cables. The stuff they sell by the foot is good enough and it's important to have clean cuts at the ends of the housings. You can also use a bench grinder or milling tool to dress the ends yourself. Or a hand file, even, but that's a pretty tedious task.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx