1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

ghetto tubeless how to.

thought the beginners corner might like these how to videos. this is for those who are considering going tubeless. its like going clipless. most who've tried it like it. other avoid it for minute reasons. and there is the select group who just hate it.

enjoy

part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRM7gq1fcoQ

part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwON2VxZL0g

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the video, it looks great. Are the trail side repairs the same as with normal tubeless tires?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    its basically a alternative to those expensive tubeless conversion kits. the trail side repairs are probably the same. i have yet to have to do one. (knock on wood) but from what i hear they are a pretty reliable system. and if all fails you throw in a tube anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did you do the Gheto setup or did you go with one of the conversion kits? And by the way, what is the advantage of tubeless tires? (this is the rooky section, after all!).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrabat
    Did you do the Gheto setup or did you go with one of the conversion kits? And by the way, what is the advantage of tubeless tires? (this is the rooky section, after all!).
    i am the one in the video... so i did the ghetto style. works just fine.

with tubeless you dont gotta worry about pinch flats or puncture flats. this is because you are not running tubes. so no tubes to pinch. you also have to run sealant in the tires in order to run tubeless. so the puncture flats get taken care of instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKLB8ah0v3Y

another advantage is the ability to run lower tire pressure. this gives you better tire deformation when going over obstacles which means better traction.

you also get lower rolling resistance from eliminating the weight of the tube in your tire. if you think about it from a physics stand point you are eliminating the weight from the part of the tire where it hurts the most. the outermost point from the axis of rotation.

the tube may seem like it does not matter all too much but the moment i hopped on my bike tubeless i instantly noticed that i was able to roll a lot easier than before.

thats just my 2cents tho

mtbr member
    May 2008
    kinda makes me wanna give it a go

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

What tires to use?

So Linga, a couple more questions: in my case, the conversion kits do not work because I have wider than ussual wheels (my LBS gave one of these a go with no success), so I am now thinking giving this Ghetto Conversion a shot.

First of all, what tire did you use? A tubeless one, or the one you already had (a tubed type one)? Also, I am 230# (and 6'5", so I guess I officially qualify as a Cludesdale!); you think this will have any effect? And lastly, what sealant do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oh, by the way, I got a 22" Giant Boulder SE, which comes with MTB Trail 26 x 1.95" tires, in case that has any effect...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So Linga, a couple more questions: in my case, the conversion kits do not work because I have wider than ussual wheels (my LBS gave one of these a go with no success), so I am now thinking giving this Ghetto Conversion a shot.

First of all, what tire did you use? A tubeless one, or the one you already had (a tubed type one)? Also, I am 230# (and 6'5", so I guess I officially qualify as a Cludesdale!); you think this will have any effect? And lastly, what sealant do you recommend?
    i used a tubeless tire in the video. if you want specific tire i used the hutch scorpion tires. which i would only recommend as a front tire. the back is wearing out pretty fast. but the grip is pretty good. i just want something that last longer. however it is not required that you use a tubeless tire when going ghetto tubeless. A UST tire does have thicker beads and thicker sidewalls which do come in handy when riding. the thicker sidewalls is a safegaurd against sidewall tears. which i have only heard about at this point. (knock on wood) the thicker beads help in trapping air pressure better. then again you can go with a wire bead tire which have even fatter beads than the folding tires. bottom line, a UST tire is not needed for ghetto tubeless.

for your weight / size problem... i wouldn't worry too much about it. it just means that the pressures you run cant be as low as what i would. im 5'2 135Lbs. so im a... midget? on my first ride with the system i aired down to about 20 PSI with no burping at all. you might have to run more pressure to prevent burping. it also depends on the stuff you use. some tires, rims, sealants, blah blah blah hold air pressure better than others.

i wouldnt worry about your rims width. the rims i used in the video were syncros big box rims. they also came with 26x1.95 tires on them. i'd say if the tube could stretch over the rim... which it should. then you shouldn't have to worry. that tube is creating a liner to trap air pressure. those conversion kits design the rim strips to fit with out any over hang. if you are using the ghetto system... then you are gonna have overhang. so you're covered.

for sealant recommendations... i am not endorsing anyone (but that would be cool if i got contacted for this video) but in the video i used stans sealant. i bought it off jensons usa. it was about 25 for 32 oz shipped. i haven't tried other sealants but from the buzz around this forum, it is gets the highest marks.

old rookie
    I wondered if you were on here. I ran into your vids on youtube and ghetto'd my bike after watching them. Easy as could be... even with the extra effort to get the tire over the tube and hoop =D

I ran at Downieville Sat with no issues and the rest of our group had 5 flats during the ride.

One thing to note - don't use the CO2 inflators with Stan's. It makes it congeal and now I have to break them down to get the clump out and it probably isn't sealing that well if I get a puncture. the bead seal is dialed though, it's like glue.
    ... so then I said "with a squirrel!" get it now?

Shapeshifter
    Tubeless is totally killer. I just did it 1st time back on April 1. I've had zero flats but the front dried up and developed a slow leak because I was being a weight weenie with the juice. Still, I got almost 3 months with no problems at all. This time, I put in extra juice

I went with a UST tire in the back - which may be a good idea for those over 200lbs.

There are some nice tips on the utah mountain bike page

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/

Check out the "Tubeless Misc Hints" link near the bottom. I'm not a big fan of carrying C02, most everything else on there makes good sense to me though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, Linga... I may just try a UST tire and do the Ghetto conversion sometime soon!

Hey! Watch This!
    Has anyone done a gram to gram weight comparison on this? Is it a noticeable weight decrease? Does the 26" tube weigh more than the partial 20" tube + sealant?

Shapeshifter
    Thin wall tubes with no slime vs tubeless with sealant and rim strips will be about a wash weight wise. If you are running slime tubes, it's about 1/2 the weight - slime tube vs strip + sealant. Ghetto saves a little bit more I suppose. UST tires are heavy compared to even the very heavy tube tires. Most folks can get by on normal tires though, I'll probably try a stock tire on the back next time (175lbs).

You probably need to get more than on flat per month to make it wash out maint wise too. We have tons of goats heads so it's possible to get a flat every week or so here. I guess it takes about 3 times as long to take off the tire and scrub off the dried latex and replace vs changing a tube.

PS there is a thread about tubeless in the weight weenies forum where they are breaking it down gram by gram if you need a more precise answer.
    Last edited by rjrodney; 06-26-2008 at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat_sr11
    Has anyone done a gram to gram weight comparison on this? Is it a noticeable weight decrease? Does the 26" tube weigh more than the partial 20" tube + sealant?
    a gram for gram comparison has been done on another thread on the wheels and tires forum. i myself have not done so because i dont have a scale that sensative at my disposal.

mtbr member
    Nice videos!

Ghetto has one disadvantage: The rimstrip of a conversion kit can be reused. Ghetto requires you to put in a new 20" tube when you change tires. So in the long run Ghetto is probably more expensive.

Having said this: I run Ghetto on my DH rigs. Works great fo me. Looked into a conversion kit. But that seemed to be more complex (e.g. check out if your rim is supported). Ghetto was straight forward and simple.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Nice videos!

Ghetto has one disadvantage: The rimstrip of a conversion kit can be reused. Ghetto requires you to put in a new 20" tube when you change tires. So in the long run Ghetto is probably more expensive..

I've reused the ghetto tubeless strips a couple times., the third time I removed my tire the valve stem ripped from the tube, however if done carefuly they can be reused.
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Each day that passes, I am more convinced to give it a shot. Still have not decided if I want to use my current wheels or get new ones, though; seems new ones will last more, but will also increase the cost about $50 or so... Any suggestions on tires that are good but not that expensive?

old rookie
    I swapped tires last night in the rear and went from a 26 tube to a 20 on my 29er and it made mounting so much easier. I should have listened. The tire seated and held air with only soap and water. Took me around 1/2 an hour start to finish and only 2 shake and set sessions - it held 40lbs all night with no discernable air loss.

I can see that swapping tires regularly would not be cost effective though.
    ... so then I said "with a squirrel!" get it now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Each day that passes, I am more convinced to give it a shot. Still have not decided if I want to use my current wheels or get new ones, though; seems new ones will last more, but will also increase the cost about $50 or so... Any suggestions on tires that are good but not that expensive?
    i picked up the tires i used on a sale from nashbar. they were just under 20 a piece. hutchinson scorpions. they ware very fast. dont get them

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So any recommendations on which tubelss tires to get? I need something that will not wear out too fast, as I ride on pavement as well...

Flying Goat
    nice job on the vid Joe... Really cool to see that they held up to yesterdays abuse as well eh? XD

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    nice job on the vid Joe... Really cool to see that they held up to yesterdays abuse as well eh? XD
    yep... all that abuse. im pretty sure you were ramming rocks and all that in our DH sessions. i know i was. not an ounce of burp

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Linga115
    yep... all that abuse. im pretty sure you were ramming rocks and all that in our DH sessions. i know i was. not an ounce of burp
    you got extra left??? think i'm going do it on my green bike... XD

Giant Anthem
    Hey guys, to go tubeless do I use a 20" or 24" tube? I also need presta, do they make 20" presta's? I race XC and run 26ers. Thanks ghetto tubes guy.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast