1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

gf tassajara vs. tassajara disc

k, im kind of deciding on these two bikes. the reg one is $650 and the disc is $820.

most of the comps are about the same. are the hayes sole xc hydraulic discs 6" rotors and shamano m505 atb clipless pedals worth the $170 diff? man i was looking to get a bike for under 400 and now im up to 900. lol.

thanx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Do you plan on riding through mud and water a lot? Do you plan on riding long, steep downhills a lot?

If not, I'd save the money and skip the disc brakes. I have a Tassajara and I flirted with the idea of converting to discs, would have cost me about $250 for a new wheelset and the brakes. But then I reconsidered why I wanted the discs and realized I really wanted a beefier bike that was more capable all around on the downhills and bought a new bike.

The only time I wished I had disc brakes I ended up fine without them, maybe with a little more forearm pump is all.

As for clipless I have no opinion, I like flats, but keep in mind clipless pedals also require the purchase of shoes which ups your price a little more.

ride hard take risks
    If you stick around the city & just cruze go V brake, if you plan on hitting China Camp, Pacifica all the fun places & do some bombing then go disc. You might want to check out Ibex, they are a net company & can sell a great product at a smokin great price. You can get a Trophy Comp priced between the two with better components .

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html