mtbr member
    Apr 2006

gf tassajara vs. tassajara disc

k, im kind of deciding on these two bikes. the reg one is $650 and the disc is $820.

most of the comps are about the same. are the hayes sole xc hydraulic discs 6" rotors and shamano m505 atb clipless pedals worth the $170 diff? man i was looking to get a bike for under 400 and now im up to 900. lol.

thanx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Do you plan on riding through mud and water a lot? Do you plan on riding long, steep downhills a lot?

If not, I'd save the money and skip the disc brakes. I have a Tassajara and I flirted with the idea of converting to discs, would have cost me about $250 for a new wheelset and the brakes. But then I reconsidered why I wanted the discs and realized I really wanted a beefier bike that was more capable all around on the downhills and bought a new bike.

The only time I wished I had disc brakes I ended up fine without them, maybe with a little more forearm pump is all.

As for clipless I have no opinion, I like flats, but keep in mind clipless pedals also require the purchase of shoes which ups your price a little more.

ride hard take risks
    If you stick around the city & just cruze go V brake, if you plan on hitting China Camp, Pacifica all the fun places & do some bombing then go disc. You might want to check out Ibex, they are a net company & can sell a great product at a smokin great price. You can get a Trophy Comp priced between the two with better components .

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html