1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

gf tasajara vs. rockhopper comp disc

im new to mtb. was wondering if anyone can help me decide between these two bikes.

are the components on these bikes compareable?

i have test rode both but not side by side. they both feel pretty good. i know the gf is made in us and no idea where hopped is made. not sure if that matter at all.

thanx.

I endorse self propulsion
    i ride an '05 rockhopper comp disc. its been great so far, and i feel like its been able to handle my 220lbs during pretty aggressive XC rides. i would definitely recommend it. but i don't think you could go wrong with either bike. I hear the GF geometry is a little different, so just go with the one that fits you better.
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

Yeah, I'm a n00b
    I ride an '04 Tass. Like biggsmoothe said, the Genesis geometry is a little different than a standard geometry (I'm not that familiar with the hopper's geometry). Some people find it entirely uncomfortable, but I liked it. Kinda hard to describe, but if you rode it you should have noticed a little difference. Either are solid bikes, I'd just suggest riding both of them (preferably offroad) as back-to-back as you can. I felt like I could climb better with the GF, but it could have been mental.
    2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara.
    Totally McStock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I like the genesis geometry on the Tass, but like mentioned earlier, its all about how it feels to you. I would try to test ride both for a good amount of time (preferably off-road) and decide from there. Fit is the most important and if it doesnt fit you, you will not ride it. If you cant tell a difference and all other things about them are equal, then pick the one that you like the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanx for the replies. im gonna go try the tass again tomorrow on the hills of san francisco. hopefully ill get to try the hopper the following day. too bad none of the shops have both bikes. must be factory rules or something. they either have specialized or gf and trek.