1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Getting things started on my first build.

Well, I am getting things started on my first build which will be a SS 26" Inbred. My new fork came in Friday and it looks awesome. It is an new/old Recon 351solo air. Right now it is at 130mm if travel but I am looking into spacers to drop it down to maybe 100mm. Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375041095.230507.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375041121.412315.jpg

Yesterday, I received my solid axle and outer nuts from Wheel mfg. to do my solid axle conversion in the rear. I'll be starting that in a few minutes.
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375041236.964969.jpg

My frame, an 18" slotted drop out 26" Inbred has not arrived. The killer with this is that it is actually already here in town, sitting on the FedEx truck, waiting to be delivered tomorrow. This is as of yesterday according to FedEx tracking. I wish I could just go get it. Anywho, the frame is a used 2010 model that I bought on pink bike. It is red, eventually I will powder coat it flat black, and has a FSA headset and Salsa seat clamp.

For brakes I picked up some used M445s that are white. I like to run my brakes moto style so when I switch the lines around I am actually going to change the white lines to black all together. Right now, I am in search of the correct connectors that I need. That is unless I am able to reuse the connectors that I already have without developing leaks. Can anyone advise me on this? If so I'll just go buy some lines at the lbs and do it.
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375041714.928796.jpg

mtbr member

Solid axle is installed. It is off center by about 1mm but oh well. While I was in there I cleaned out the old factory grease and then replaced it with some of the Park Tool polylube. I also put some blue thread lock on the cone locknuts.

Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375049447.805448.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375049466.934440.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375049486.415284.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375049502.954958.jpg

mtbr member

Frame just arrived! Time to hit the LBS to have the crown race installed and see about brake line and fittings.
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375138227.621425.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks good Brother. I just finished my first build (Giant Anthem) and had a great time doing it. There is a certain satisfaction to researching, building and then riding a bike you put together. Have fun!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member

Alright, it is almost done and I cannot wait to actually ride it. Line routing is a mess right now but I'll fix that when I change my brake lines around. Rather than spend a bunch of money on new black lines I am just going to stick with the white right now. Besides, it doesn't look too bad. Seat post is on its way and I need to get an adapter to mount the read caliper. I'm going to call rockshox tomorrow to see about spacers to lower my fork travel to 100mm. I am leaving the stem as is until I find a comfortable setting. Even then I may just leave it and use spacers on it. Chain needs mounted and adjusted once it is clean. Tires need filled with more Stan's and that should be everything. I'll post more pics when it is completed. Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375151878.741459.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375151916.584860.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375151941.186819.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375151965.420655.jpg

mtbr member

Okay, seat post should be waiting for me at home today and that is the final part needed. I switched my lines and bleed my brakes last night. I didn't replace the brass olives so I hope they don't leak. My rear back brake is rubbing a little. It is out of alignment to the left. I spaced it out with some washers but it is still rubbing a little. I'm gonna try to add a couple more washers to space it out some more. Is this an acceptable practice?

Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375385347.637246.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375385372.754628.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375385402.121100.jpg
    Getting things started on my first build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375385438.650298.jpg

I rode it around my apartment complex a little to check the brakes. I couldn't do much since I don't have the seat in yet. Brakes were weak at first but after dragging them for a bit while pedaling they started to work a lot better. Soon I'll see how well they work on the trail. I am hoping this Sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you space the rotor or the caliper? There are shims for spacing the caliper.

mtbr member

I spaced the caliper and caliper adapter as a whole. You can see the two washers between the adapter and frame in on of the photos. I think one more flat washer will do it. That is if it is a safe practice. Otherwise Ill get the rotor shims.