1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Getting started!!!

I welcome my self to this great community!

Im an absolute beginner to the sport however ive ridden almost every type of bike at least once throughout my younger years...

I am now on the search for a starting point in Mountain Biking that will in turn lead to downhill free riding... Thats definitely where im aiming, since where i live, Cyprus, mountains are full of unforgiving trails waiting to be ridden!

Anyway im here for suggestions on my first mtb!

Ive been told that its good to start with a cross country mtb and go from there as i see fit since for the moment being i will be just riding in the town and around the fields...

My budget is anyway a bit low for All-mountain or full suspension bikes at ~700 EUR...

After some weeks of research i came down to a couple of models im interested in. First place i visited was ORBEA and Specialized dealerships and ive set my eyes on the ORBEA Satellite and the Specialized hardrock, both at around ~700 EUR...

I also visited GIANT and set my eyes on the Revel 1 2013 model also around my budget..

My questions are:

1. Is it a good thing to start with a cross country bike or save and go straight to what i have a passion for?

2. Which would be the best of entry level bikes like but not limited to the ones i listed above?

I know opinions vary so ill take everyone's advice and go from there!

Thanks a lot!

mtbr member

Getting started!!!

Hardrock was a good first bike for me. May not be a bad idea to get a bike like that first to "get your feet wet" and see where it goes. If you decide you love riding as much as most of us here do, then it'll be worth dumping some coin on a nice bike. Sort of makes you appreciate it more too. I started on a hardrock, and today I took my brand new stumpjumper FSR out on her maiden voyage and wow, talk about an upgrade

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Hardrock was a good first bike for me. May not be a bad idea to get a bike like that first to "get your feet wet" and see where it goes. If you decide you love riding as much as most of us here do, then it'll be worth dumping some coin on a nice bike. Sort of makes you appreciate it more too. I started on a hardrock, and today I took my brand new stumpjumper FSR out on her maiden voyage and wow, talk about an upgrade
    Stumpjumper surely looks awesome i imagine it feels like that too!!

Thats pretty much my plan, start on something like a cross country mtb and go from there, if anything happens o the way ill anyway end up with a rock solid commuting bike for a decade or more so its a win win scenario i guess... As for brands im a bit confused, friends suggested Giant, experts told me the ORBEA sattelite is awesome for its money and the store owner told me the hardrock is great as well...

And then theres the GT Avalanche (not sure which one but the one that close to 600 EUR). Im getting confused and its virtually impossible to test ride all of them to get the feeling which ones better...

What everyone has told though is that bikes closer to the ~700 mark are going to have better front suspension as with the Sattelite with the rock shox susp whereas the others have suntour forks...

mtbr member

Getting started!!!

You can drive yourself insane trying to pick the best bike. Honestly just find one that "feels right" to you and you can get a good deal on, and just go have some fun on it. Can't go wrong either way as long as YOU like it

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Avoid bikes with the Suntour fork. In the US/Canada they offer a Raidon air fork upgrade for $200.
    Here is what they build this fork for---
    RTR: Recreational trail
    Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep climbs or downhills! Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    You can drive yourself insane trying to pick the best bike. Honestly just find one that "feels right" to you and you can get a good deal on, and just go have some fun on it. Can't go wrong either way as long as YOU like it
    Thats one of those things that tou are aware of but keep it deep inside until someone tells you so .. Probably very good advice, thanks! I unfortunately have that itch for technical detail knowledge before doing anything!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Avoid bikes with the Suntour fork. In the US/Canada they offer a Raidon air fork upgrade for $200.
    Here is what they build this fork for---
    RTR: Recreational trail
    Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep climbs or downhills! Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house.
    Ok, noted, so the sattelite, having a rock shox, would be a better buy.. Since anyway almost everything under 700 has a suntour fork..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpiro View Post
    Ok, noted, so the sattelite, having a rock shox, would be a better buy.. Since anyway almost everything under 700 has a suntour fork..
    I suggest more test rides including 29er bikes. Look for one with a good fork.
    Canyon bikes ships to you. They are sold out of many 29 models, but they offer current geo and good quality.
    Some of the German suppliers like h&s bike discount, bike24 and bikecomponents.de may be options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I suggest more test rides including 29er bikes. Look for one with a good fork.
    Canyon bikes ships to you. They are sold out of many 29 models, but they offer current geo and good quality.
    Some of the German suppliers like h&s bike discount, bike24 and bikecomponents.de may be options.
    Thanks for the suggestions ill look into these sites...but...god almighty, canyon wants a whopping 350 euros for delivery!!!!!!!!!

Ill better check all the dealerships-bike shops in town rather than ordering online...And from what i know my options on brands are Giant, SPecialized, Diamondback, ORBEA, Scott, Bianchi, Ideal, GT, Trek....thats almost all of them i think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Scott and Trek have current geo for 29ers. Short chainstays and 69 degree slack head tube angles. This keeps stability for fast downhills and railing turns while still easy to turn.
    If you can find a 2012 Scott Scale Elite or Trek X-Cal you would get a dual air Reba fork which is no longer available(current is lesser solo air) and a last year's model discount.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Scott and Trek have current geo for 29ers. Short chainstays and 69 degree slack head tube angles. This keeps stability for fast downhills and railing turns while still easy to turn.
    If you can find a 2012 Scott Scale Elite or Trek X-Cal you would get a dual air Reba fork which is no longer available(current is lesser solo air) and a last year's model discount.
    Checked with my local dealership, x-cal are gone and will not have anymore back...they only have the 4500 and 4700...As for the Scott ill check with them tomorrow as well. These are well out of my budget zone but if they do have discounts since they are old models then it depends on the discount! Thanks for your suggestions though!!