1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Getting into bike riding, I'm so confused!!

Ok, I'm going to buy a bike from norco.. I want to get the 2006 Bigfoot, but reading reviews on the Hayes sole disk brakes, I don't know if that's such a good idea..

This bike is going to cost me $985 CAD. and the more expencive bike ($1594 CAD) has Avid Juicy 5 disk brakes...

When I go riding, I go downhill, uphill, off small jumps (nothing more than 3 foot usually) and I'm not into doing tricks. I ride on road, offroad....

So are the Hayes So1e disk brakes really as bad as people say?

baka baka!
    how much do you weigh? those 8 in rotors on the bigfoot (if it's the same one on the norco website) will give you a lot of stopping power. i've been riding cross country with the so1es (6 inch rotors) on my hardtail for about 6 months. i don't weigh that much (about 125 lb) but from my experience they've been fine in terms of stopping power except they seem to fade on the longer downhills. modulation is OK. i've ridden my friend's bike with avid bb7's and think that the so1es have just a bit more power to em initially until later in the ride. i've also tested avid juicy 7's (like the juicy 5's but with a lever dial) which modulate very well in my opinion and are packed with a lot of power. 600 bucks is big difference but i'm sure the next step up has a lot of other component upgrades. if anything you can just get the one with the so1es for now and then upgrade later. there have been some good deals on hayes hfx 9's (i ride these on my full suspension) lately and i'm sure more closeouts on other brakes are coming soon. from your riding description it doesn't seem like you're gonna do anything that hardcore so those so1es should be fine..if not, more than enough.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I weigh 175lbs right now (hopefully losing some ;P)

I think I'll stick with this bike, unless someone can point out some other good bikes around this price range ($950)
    '
    I'm leaning towards Norco and Specialized

I'm buying from the links below, so check them out.

Norco
    Specialized

I'm sort of liking the Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc

There's no app for this.

Look at Kona too

and why you're buying a Canadian/Taiwanese bike from the US baffles me; Norco is out of Vancouver and you can get better prices here. Same with Kona. And parts and service is great in Canada for these two.

Hayes Sole brakes are OK, but understand they are USA focussed, OEM XC brakes. If you're headed for the Rockies to ride they might not cut it. I stress this is an armchair opinion, I've never ridden them.

Specialzed pricing is way out of line in Canada for reasons on Specialized knows, so that might best come from the US. Expect to pay a 13% import duty on all Taiwanese made bikes you order from the US, plus all the other X border raping and charging of our wonderful govt.

Jim

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ok, little confused.. I should stick with Norco or not? o.O

PS: United Cycle is in my City.... Just in case you thought otherwise.

ride hard take risks
    I agree with JimC. stick with the Norco or Kona, keep it home where you can get the best customer service. If you cant afford the better brakes now then buy the bike you can afford as you become a better rider you can start upgrading. In the mean time you are ridding & having a kick ars time!!

There's no app for this.

Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by Draziok
    Ok, little confused.. I should stick with Norco or not? o.O

PS: United Cycle is in my City.... Just in case you thought otherwise.
    I misconscrewed United and thought you meant Universal cycles, a USA mail order outfit that's quite good.

Pick the one that fits best, and the shop that will service you best. Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

had 'em

I had hayes sole discs on my DJ rig for awhile until i sold it for an XC rig...they worked pretty well, never had any problems. They were very adjustable, reliable, and simple to maintain and operate.
    If it doesn't have Two wheels, a big engine, or tits, I'm not interested!