1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Getting better

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Getting better

I guess I am what you would call an advanced beginner, even though I have been riding a long time I never got really much past that. It always took 2nd fiddle to my motorcycle but now I am getting really into it with my 18 and 14 year old sons. I may be too old to do much (47), but I am doing what I can.
    I have a question, I have noticed that some of my friends that have gotten really fast on motorcycles have often done so by riding short sections of trails and really nailing them and then transferring that to all trails. Lately I have been doing that on my mountain bike, put all my energy on riding the same mile or so of fairly tough trail and I seem to be improving much more than I have in a long time. I don't even take the short 2 mile ride to the trail now, haul it in my SXS and then give it my all until I have just enough energy to load it back. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Variety is the spice of life.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Learning to read trail and lines is important .Learning how to meter it out over distances is just important . If you are training to race you need longer rides ,if you riding for fun do whatever's fun to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I look at it like the guys that set up trials courses in their back yard to improve. It seems to be working for me, going to keep doing it a few more times and see what happens next time I go for a longer ride. The great thing is I can do it every day weather permitting!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Practice makes perfect. Working on progression on familiar ground is a good idea, you can think more about your technique and try different lines, speeds, gearing, etc to get through sections smoothly, see what works for you. Keep riding it till you get it dialed, then take your show on the road.
    I've got a few miles of really fun singletrack right out my door that I've ridden hundreds of times, at least (it runs to the local brewery, with their liberal sampling policy.) Every time, there's always a turn to be railed better, a cleaner way to get through a techy section, a way to pump a little more speed into the beginning of a climb. Knowing what's coming up facilitates being able to think ahead and experiment with what approach you take. Try a line, see how it goes, then go back and try another. Session sections over and over and have a good time at it. You'll learn a bunch, and when you get the urge to go explore some other stuff, you'll have a better game plan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I think I just realized whats going on. We all know that confidence is a big part of success, and there is nowhere that is more relevant than in sports. Riding the same hill 20 times until you finally nail it is a huge confidence builder that you take with you wherever you ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yep, and 47 is never to old. (see the thread about 50th birthday and starting MTB) go out and have fun, even better if its with the kids