1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

getting back into sport- maintenance questions

Hey all,

I just got a 2012 trek cobia used for $600 which was a really awesome deal and I'm definitely happy with it but its got a few quirks. First, it squeaks while moving and sometimes hums when braking- I'm assuming this means I need to just pull the pads out and inspect them/possibily replace? Could the squeaking come from somewhere else by chance I'm not thinking of?

Also, are there are good video series anywhere to really learn maintenance tips/a new bike tune up guide? I really need it broken down to a noob's perspective like this video: How to adjust disc brakes - YouTube

That evans cycles channel has most of the things but I was just wondering if theres some awesome write up thread I'm missing or any real good video series.

Basically, what would you do if you got a bike and weren't sure what kind of shape it was in mechanically? and where can I learn about doing it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Clean and inspect everything-- tighten.
    Clean and grease bearings--hubs and freehub, bottom bracket, headset.
    Park CCP-44 $15 for the bottom bracket
    SRAM S800 crankarm removal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Check out the Park Tool web site, they have a lot of info

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

Newbie to Mountain Biking
    Aug 2012
    I would inspect the wheels for trueness. Easiest thing to do is flip the bike over. Get a small nail and some tape and tape it on the bottom of the chain stay or forks barely touchin the rim. Brake pads are easy to spot trueness but a nail is better. Spin the wheel an see how close the rim gets to the nail. Next, check out the derailleurs. Do they shift properly in all configurations? Lube up brake and derailleur cables with a Teflon lube for chains. Inspect chain also for wear. Do pedals have play web you grab an wiggle them? Bottom bracket loose or makin noise? Hubs loose? Headset? If your rakes squeak you can always toe out the pads, that is, tilt them slightly out so the front of the pad contacts the rim first. If they're uneven try running them across a flat file on a bench. If your rims aren't black sand them down and clean with rubbing alcohol. If you have simple green after te cleaning apply some watered down it makes brakes stick better, straight simple green gums pads up. That's all I can think of now, have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Clean and inspect everything-- tighten.
    Clean and grease bearings--hubs and freehub, bottom bracket, headset.
    Park CCP-44 $15 for the bottom bracket
    SRAM S800 crankarm removal?
    unnecessary in my opinion.

has hte bike seen a lot of use?
    1. measure the chain for chainwear (google this). if u need, replace chain.
    2. check your wheels for truness with a zip tie.

other than than you probably don't need to do anything for awhile. you probably want to learn how to replace shifter cables in another 6 months. (cable kits are $12 shipped on ebay)

for squealing...., i'd repost your question in the tooltime forum.

does it squeal while coasting or only cranking on pedals or only braking?
    finding noise is a methodological process.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I installed a new SLX crankset and bottom bracket last November. So I know what use it has had. But I was reading of non DS bearings wearing out in the drivetrain forum. You need a grapefruit sectioning knife to pop the bearing cover and seal off. What do you know. My new BB was shipped with almost no grease in the NDS bearing. It's greased now.

Start with everything checked and greased. It's a small effort and worth learning. You cannot rely on the manufacturer, especially with no warranty.