1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Getting back into Mountain Biking, need some advise

I'm jumping back into Mountain Biking after finally moving off of night shift for the past two years. I use to ride a hard-tail but have always wanted a full suspension bike but never really wanted to fork out the extra coin. I do have a friend that is selling me a Raleigh Ram XT 2500 extremely cheap that he built new in 2005 and only rode it twice. I've been looking for reviews and info on this bike but haven't been able to find much info. I have seen about half talk bad about the Raleigh name and the other half say great things. So i figured id try and see what info you could share.

Attached is a picture of the bike,

Thanks in advance for your help,

Carter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting back into Mountain Biking, need some advise-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well, the bike looks alright. If you are getting it "extremely cheap" and it's only been ridden twice, then you cannot go wrong with this deal.

So the bike won't be the latest thing, but it will give you rear suspension and almost certainly a great deal of fun on your local trails.

Just make sure the brakes and suspension work, and maybe take it to your LBS for a quick check over/service.

You can always upgrade the bike as time and funds allow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks, I'm getting the bike for $300. Hope to be hitting the trails again soon.

Fat-tired Roadie
    What kind of riding do you like to do? That looks like a ton of suspension travel...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I mostly ride trails not too much into the downhill but something i would like to try eventually. Im a bigger guy 5'11'' 230lbs so i wanted a bike that would be able to absorb a good 4-5ft drop when i get to that point again. 180mm front fork does seem a little much was going to be swaping it out evetually for a better 140mm front shock.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you want a bike with 140 mm of suspension travel, buy a bike with 140 mm of suspension travel. Putting on a fork 4 cm shorter is going to make the head angle a lot steeper and drop the bottom bracket a little lower. The changes will be enough to notice.

Do you still have your old bike?

mtbr member
    X2, that bike looks like it has more travel than the average downhill bike.. I wouldn't say that's the best type of bike to get back in the game with, but hey, its 300$
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    NO, I sold my old bike once i went to night shift.

A friend of mine is needing the money so i figured why not help out a friend and jump back into the sport.

I didnt think about the head angle, but now that you mention that i might just keep it and see how it goes. I figure the worst that could happen is that i dont like the way it rides and keep it in the garage for a loaner bike, and fork out the money for something diffrent.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    If you want a bike with 140 mm of suspension travel, buy a bike with 140 mm of suspension travel. Putting on a fork 4 cm shorter is going to make the head angle a lot steeper and drop the bottom bracket a little lower. The changes will be enough to notice.

Do you still have your old bike?
    I believe that bike only came with a 110-150 Manitou Sherman Flick fork when new:

2005 Raleigh Ram TX2500 - BikePedia

Putting a 140mm fork on it would likely improve the handling over the 180mm fork. It's more of an all mountain/trail bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I believe that bike only came with a 110-150 Manitou Sherman Flick fork when new:

2005 Raleigh Ram TX2500 - BikePedia

Putting a 140mm fork on it would likely improve the handling over the 180mm fork. It's more of an all mountain/trail bike.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I was told it was a XT2500 no wonder i couldnt find anything on it. All mountain/Trail is what i mostly do so i think it will work out perfect.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Ha. You'd be un-forking it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams_805 View Post
    X2, that bike looks like it has more travel than the average downhill bike.. I wouldn't say that's the best type of bike to get back in the game with, but hey, its 300$
    My thoughts exactly!

If you don't have much money to spend, then this bike will be great. Maybe not the IDEAL bike, but at $300 you won't do better.

It can always be upgraded/replaced when funds allow.