1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Getting back into mountain biking after 15 (!) years. Two bikes to choose from...

Hi guys! my LBS has two great looking last year's models at a good price and I'm struggling to decide between the two and would love some advice if anyone has any. They may be equally as good and I'll just have to pick one. They are:

Norco Charger 7.2- Charger Cross Country Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles

and Raleigh Talus Comp 29er- Raleigh Bicycles - Talus 29 Comp

The charger has a low ring of 24 teeth while the talus has 22 teeth which I prefer because I am week legged. Having said that, the charger has smaller wheels which probably make up any gearing difference. Just from quick internet research I do not necessarily have a preference between 27.5 and 29 inch wheels. They both feel great to ride- of course, after 16 years and my old mountain bike anything new is probably going to feel like a Porsche. Another issue might be the Raleigh has a straight headset rathe rthan a tapered. Does it really matter? They seems they have a very comparable components package and the prices are almost identical. I guess what it boils down to is a personal preference of brand?

Thanks for any tips! Total noob getting back into it and very excited!

mtbr member
    Comments on the superiority of larger wheels in 3, 2, 1...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How much? How tall are you.

mtbr member
    The gearing is about the same 44/32/22t x 11-34t on the Talus vs 42/32/24t x 11/36t, you give 2 on the granny or gain 2 on the cogs; your choice. The main difference is 9spd vs 10spd; on the rest they're about the same.

If you can test ride them please do so and get the one that fits and feels better.

mtbr member
    The Raleigh has a little bit better fork, but you will be limited in upgrades since it has a straight 1 1/8 steer tube.

The Norco has better components and a decent fork as well. But you will be able to buy tapered steerer forks when you decide to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The Raleigh has a little bit better fork, but you will be limited in upgrades since it has a straight 1 1/8 steer tube.

The Norco has better components and a decent fork as well. But you will be able to buy tapered steerer forks when you decide to upgrade.
    Cool- thanks so much for the feedback! I'm leaning towards the Norco now for a couple of reasons. The component package is a bit better, the tapered headset (even though I don't foresee being so hardcore that I would need a new shock anytime soon) and the top tube step over is a little lower. The tt step over is not a huge deal for I'm 6' 2" so getting my leg over can be a bit of a pain on tall top tubes.