1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Get some night rides done!

I have not ridden at night since 1999, when l had a BLT light set (1x10w and 1x6w bulbs)

I bought an LED light this week, and went out for the first time tonight.
    What a blast! Modern lights turn night into day (my TAZ 1200 literally lights up the trail like daytime) and it brings a whole new perspective to your local trails.

I say give it a go, you won't look back (well, if you do you will fall off)

Serenity now!
    That sounds great, but what about Bigfoot?
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member
    hahaha l forgot about that, but my new light is so bright, it will most likely scare him off!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I actually prefer riding in the dark sometimes. There are certain trails that I ride better at night than during the day.

Light freak

Totally dig riding in the dark!!

Get some night rides done!-night-ride.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post
    That sounds great, but what about Bigfoot?
    What about Bigfoot?

Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Well, l am off out later this evening. The temperature is just above freezing here. But at least it is dry....freezing rain would be a bit of a downer.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Rode last night and it was great. Only came across 3 riders and 1 runner where I usually see 30-40 during this 7 mile loop. So much more peaceful.

mtbr member
    I have recently gotten into night riding as well. I had always done "night rides" on dirt bikes and atvs equipped with lights, but never on a mountain bike. It is definitely more peaceful, adds some challenge to a familiar trail and can get spooky at times. I was given a light earlier this year for my birthday and have used it a few good times. I'm looking forward to a night ride with snow on the trail
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Going to order a light from deal extreme soon, can't afford brand name lights.

About how many lumens should a good light for mountain biking output?

Light freak
    Here is a little heads up about ordering a light from DealExtreme (China) at this time of year. Being that it is going to be holidays here in the States, then Chinese New Year after that, there is a strong chance that you will not receive your order for a couple of months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    What about Bigfoot?

We shouldn't worry about him. I heard he is very slow and he is scared of our bright lights!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    and since this is the beginner section, it should just be pointed out that some parks have laws against occupying them between sunset and sunrise.. check local laws first.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

Serenity now!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I have recently gotten into night riding as well. I had always done "night rides" on dirt bikes and atvs equipped with lights, but never on a mountain bike. It is definitely more peaceful, adds some challenge to a familiar trail and can get spooky at times. I was given a light earlier this year for my birthday and have used it a few good times. I'm looking forward to a night ride with snow on the trail
    SEE? It's not just an irrational concern! Bigfoot is out there and he has lights too! You have been warned.

I rode one time by myself with lights and I really was scared. I have no idea what I was scared of. I love riding at night with a group- its exhilarating and adds new excitement to familiar trails. I've never tried at night with snow, but it looks pretty cool.

Oh, and I spent $50 on a Cree 1800 lumen light and it's like stadium lighting.
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Here is a little heads up about ordering a light from DealExtreme (China) at this time of year. Being that it is going to be holidays here in the States, then Chinese New Year after that, there is a strong chance that you will not receive your order for a couple of months.

yeah, I heard that I would have to wait a couple months, but sadly that is my only option. There is no way I can drop $75+ for a light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Fat biking in the dark...
    Get some night rides done!-12076_10101570854701523_1294741910_n.jpg
    Get some night rides done!-537955_10201480788275422_1943415775_n.jpg
    Get some night rides done!-993711_10201481368209920_1569995481_n.jpg

mtbr member
    I have a Taz 1200 light which costs UK £200.

But my friend bought one of the Chinese ones, for a quarter the price l paid.
    It is called a One23 and while it is not as good as mine, it is still great for night rides.
    Claimed output is 1,000 lumens and while that is doubtful, it is certainly bright enough, and comes with a battery pack so will run for a few hours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the pics and video. I noticed a lot of the riders have handlebar and helmet mounted lights. I just bought a cygolite expilion 800 to go with my old 350. Any advice on where to mount the brighter light?

Redcoat
    Bigfoot is real. just sayin.

Light freak
    I would ride with the brighter light on my helmet. Also depends on the type of beam - spot on the helmet and flood on the bars. Great idea to ride with 2 lights in case you have problems with one.

Here are some things to think about on light placement -

Light on the bars – With the light being below your eyes, it produces “shadowing” of obstacles. The downside of the light being on the bars is the light is always pointed in the direction that you bars are pointed. Can be a problem on tight, twisty switch backs where you want to look around the corner. The other thing is having to make a repair in the dark with your light bar mounted. Almost have to remove it to get the light pointed where you need it

Light on your head – With the light above your eyes, it tends to “flatten” out obstacles as it doesn’t produce as much “shadowing”. The upside is that your light is always pointed directly where you are looking. Making repairs in the dark in much easier with the light on your head. The downside to a helmet mounted light only is that when you are looking to the sides or around a switchback, you don’t have lighting on the ground (which could be actually visible in your peripheral vision). In snow, fog, and rain, a helmet only light can be difficult. The light reflecting back at you off of the moisture in the air can make visibility very difficult.

Light on both the helmet and the bars – Best of both worlds. Always have light directly out in front of you and where you are looking. If it gets snowing, raining, real dusty,or foggy and it is making visibility difficult because of the helmet light, then you just go bar only. All 24hr races require repetitive light systems for safety. I have heard stories of many people that have had their only light die on them and have had to walk out trying to use the light on their cell phone, not fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post

Oh, and I spent $50 on a Cree 1800 lumen light and it's like stadium lighting.
    How do you like that light? What's the runtime? Looks like a good intro light for the $$$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My evening commute which is mostly off road has turned into a night run, I was surprised that in some parts I am a lot quicker at night, probably as I can't see every little rock on the way. I run with 2 dealextreme lights as I don't want to walk home in the dark and need to dodge a few cows on the way.