1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: geared to SS ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

geared to SS ?

Hello all. Thanx in advance for the help. I have a FS geared bike now that i broke the derailer hanger on going uphill. I was wonderong how labor intensive it would be to make it a SS. I figured since its down it would be a good time to do it. Or should i just look for the HT SS that i really want.

mtbr member
    A FS SS? I suppose that is not unheard of? I had a hardtail that I did the same thing to and it was a quick easy fix. Granted I got lucky. Most likely your dropouts aren't correct so you'd either have to get lucky like with chain length or add some sort of tensionor.

When I say lucky I mean I made it work with a wee bit of tall gear and a half link, and when I got the chain it it was the tightest thing in the world, and I turned it into slop within 3 months.

My advice is to look for a true SS (I just bought one and can't describe the fun I have on it).

local trails rider
    For FS SS, you usually need a spring loaded tensioner with LOTS of capacity to pick up chain slack - because chainstay length does not remain constant. It has been done but few really want to.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most hanger are replaceable ,your lbs should be able to get one or there is a company that makes them , tpye in deraileurs hanger on google. Depending on the frame to convert to ss it could be easy.There are a couple of tensioner that would work Paul and Yess are two. Go to the ss forum type in full suss ,lots of bikesthave been done.

mtbr member
    Derailleurhanger.com

It can be done. Check the singlespeed forum.