1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Gear shifting on 30 speed

I have read threads before about how to use the gears with the 3 chain wheels at the front and not cross threading. Years ago I owned a MTG bike with 3 x 7 Alivio drive train and a friend advised me of this so I used to mainly use the small chainring for 1-3 on the rear, middle chain ring for 3-5 and big chainring for 5-7. So my 21 speed bike was really a 9 speed.

Just wondering how far you should push it on the modern 3 x 10 setups. I have a fairly new bike with the Deore drivetrain and I am trying to do something similar but have found that if I go as far as gear 5 on the rear whilst on the small front chain ring I haven't noticed any chain rubbing or adverse effects.

So should I still use the same principle i.e. small chainring on front 1-3 on rear, middle chainring on front 3-8 on rear, large chainring on front 8-10 on rear? So my vaunted 30 speed is really a 12 speed bike! LOL Or is it safe to go a little further without risk of adverse performance or chain wear?

Picture Unrelated
    What your friend told you was never accurate so it certainly doesn't apply to 30 spd. You should be able to use the full range of gears through the middle chainring. Then on the top and bottom, I usually recommend not using the extreme two gears, but there's no hard and fast rule. The less cross chained you ride, the theoretically longer the chain could last.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    What your friend told you was never accurate so it certainly doesn't apply to 30 spd. You should be able to use the full range of gears through the middle chainring. Then on the top and bottom, I usually recommend not using the extreme two gears, but there's no hard and fast rule. The less cross chained you ride, the theoretically longer the chain could last.
    Really?

That's interesting. What I used to do may not be exactly what my friend told me but that's just what I did. From what you're saying though there's a much greater range of gears available.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post

I have 3x9 and the middle ring I also use my full range in the rear. I try to keep out of the smallest 3 when on the small chain ring and out of the biggest 3 when on the big chain ring. This is to limit cross chaining.

I use my chain rings depend on what I am riding.

Middle ring for most riding. Flats or moderate climbs and most descents

Little ring for longer extended climbs. Even with some ration overlap to the middle ring I like to fine tune my cadence on rear derailuer and being in the little ring works great to adapt to grade changes on most climbs.

Big ring for pavement or really smooth fire roads. Also on fast descents to reduce chain slap I get from middle ring/small cog combo. By using larger ring in front and larger in back the chain is pulled away from the frame.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.