1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: gear issue

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

gear issue

So I just got a new Scott Aspect 60 and I was riding around getting used to it. And every time I was in a certain gear it would make a clicking sound. If i was in 7 on one and 2 on the other it was click. Does that just mean I have to adjust the derailluer? Or should I take it back to the shop. Most gears run smooth and some just dont. It was the first actual time i took it out on a good ride. Any help would be appreciated.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depends on the reason for the sound.

If it's the chain dragging against your front derailleur, you may be able to tune it so it doesn't do that. Check out parktool.com for instructions for tuning derailleurs.

Because 7 is your largest cog, it's possible that it's just too extreme a position to get working. In which case, don't use that gear combination - shift it into 1 in front, and whatever gives you the right amount of resistance in the back.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sounds like your deraulier was never properly adjusted, since you just bought the bike I would just go back and let them do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That depends.

If you're riding a 10 speed group set, then I would expect that middle ring in front and 7 in the back might be fine to expect no chain rub.

If you're running 7 or 8 speed, then you are experiencing chain rub. It is normal. Shift.

For example instead of being in 2/7, shift easier in the back by a gear or two, then shift UP in the front to the big ring. Same results, minus the chain rub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Since the bike is new the chain takes about a month if you ride a lot to fully stretch out. So what's happening is you'll have to keep readjusting your deraulier when it gets misaligned until your chain is fully stretched out. Also the cables loosen up which causes it to and again that is just part of the break in period.....normal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cable stretch is normal. Chain stretch shouldn't occur until the chain is wearing out after hundreds of miles.