1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Gear Adjustment Limit Screws

Although I rode for about 6 years in the early 90s I never bothered with any kind of maintenance. Having recently got a new bike I figured this time I would get to grips with proper maintenance - the advent of youtube and forums helps massively in this..

Having watched a video on the proper adjustment of your front derailleur I adjusted mine and managed to get the gears to shift more fluidly. Up until this Sunday when I found I could no longer get the big ring (not good as I stay on the big ring pretty much 95% of the time).

I adjusted the cable tension, although I think I overdid it as when I next went for a ride my indicator told me I was on the middle ring despite being on the big one. I eased of the tension and now there is a rattling noise. I have tried fine tuning the tension with the ring on the shifters but can't get rid of this rattle. Pressing the shift-up lever fully home makes everything perfect but in it's default position the rattle returns.

Now - I know the limit screws are to fine tune the cage but on mine they don't seem to have any effect. How much do you need to turn the limit screws - a couple of turns? Also is there a way to reset the limit screws if they get too far out of whack?

mtbr member
    The BicycleTutor site has been very helpful to me, and the video will explain how to adjust the front der.

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-front-derailer/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The limit screws aren't for fine tuning. They are just for what they say, setting the limits of movement each way. The one labeled "L" sets how low the der. will go down. The screw labeled "H" sets how high the cage will go (sounds like this is the one you needed to adjust out a hair). Fine tuning the pull of the cable is done with the barrel adjuster.

mtbr member
    I experienced a similar issue on a friends old Specialized Hard Rock. No matter what I did the deraileur would not push the chain onto the big ring. It actually turned out, his crank had become loose, and the sprocket was out further than it should of been. However he never noticed this while pedaling. It was kinda strange.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks THB that is the video I watched when I adjusted 1st time around.

MDC - yes that's what I though. I figured that the derailer cage must be slightly in the wrong position as it is hitting the chain whilst the chain is moving through the cage. When I said the ring on the shifter, I meant the Barrel Adjuster - I'm not up on the terminology. I will try some more barrell adjusting. Thanks

If all this fails I'll check the crank bolts.

Cheers

Videos can be nice but they're not always done well or complete in scope. You might review the front derailleur adjustments here http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75. Your issue with the adjustment is most likely just from the new cable/housing bedding in a bit, and you may need to loosen the anchor bolt for the cable for correct tension rather than just with the barrel adjuster.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the link.

"It is possible that the front derailleur will rub the chain slightly even on properly adjusted bikes. This is likely on some bikes when riding in the largest sprocket in front and the smallest cog in back" - www.parktool.com

So I might not be able to remove the noise completely. Using the barrel adjusters I have reduced the rattling to some degree but like the quote above says I do stay in the highest gear a lot of the time so some rattle might be expected.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by JacGT
    Thanks for the link.

"It is possible that the front derailleur will rub the chain slightly even on properly adjusted bikes. This is likely on some bikes when riding in the largest sprocket in front and the smallest cog in back" - www.parktool.com

So I might not be able to remove the noise completely. Using the barrel adjusters I have reduced the rattling to some degree but like the quote above says I do stay in the highest gear a lot of the time so some rattle might be expected.
    just shift gears properly
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    just shift gears properly
    OK - thanks for that insightful response.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by JacGT
    OK - thanks for that insightful response.
    you're welcome
    Honestly... ahh I give up