mtbr member
    May 2004

Gave it all I got, and now I'm paying the price!

Hey guys,

Just finished my second race ever, and I ended up winning it! Not bad eh! It would be even more of an accomplishment if there were more than two of us in the mountain bike division for the age group! I got first, and my buddy got second, and that was it! Oh well!

Regardless of the lack of mountain bike entrants, I manager to get to the end of the 22 mile race in 1hour 19 min, 31 secs, knobby tires and all! Here is a question for you experts. If I were riding a road bike, of similar quality to my Giant Yukon, what might I have expected for time improvements?

Whatever I did though, I tore my butt muscles to pieces. I cannot walk without wincing, couldn't sleep at all last night, and to try to sit down or bend over is like entering the depths of hell! I hope this passes soon. I want to ride again soon! Any suggestions for recovering from this type of injury?

Here's a pic of first and second place finishers. i.e., the only two guys dumb,... err man enough to compete with the road bikers on mountain bikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=joetilley76]Hey guys,

Just finished my second race ever, and I ended up winning it! Not bad eh! It would be even more of an accomplishment if there were more than two of us in the mountain bike division for the age group! I got first, and my buddy got second, and that was it! Oh well!

Regardless of the lack of mountain bike entrants, I manager to get to the end of the 22 mile race in 1hour 19 min, 31 secs, knobby tires and all! Here is a question for you experts. If I were riding a road bike, of similar quality to my Giant Yukon, what might I have expected for time improvements?
    [QUOTE]

I don't know about time (Iím not racer so I donít really keep track of speed to much), but I do find that on a road bike I can definitely go longer and faster. I used to ride my mtn bike on the road with slick before I got road bike and I feel a lot less beat up at the end of a long hard ride on a road bike then I ever did on my mtn bike(same route).

The down side to road bikes is they are expensive. Low end entry road bikes (Sora grouppo) are going to be around $550 to $600. The mid range recreational level road bike (Tiagra grouppo) come around the $800+ price range and the high end recreational bikes (105 grouppo) are 1000+. And these are recreational road bikes not high performance road bikes, the prices on those can get insanely crazy.<O</O

phat giant
    Quote Originally Posted by joetilley76
    Whatever I did though, I tore my butt muscles to pieces. I cannot walk without wincing, couldn't sleep at all last night, and to try to sit down or bend over is like entering the depths of hell! I hope this passes soon. I want to ride again soon! Any suggestions for recovering from this type of injury?
    First off congrats even though there were only two of you.. Second - ice, ice and ice.. Put some ice on your butt for 15 - 20 min on and 40 min - 1 hr off 3 - 4 times a day.. this will bring down the swelling and inflamation. Hopefully you didn't do too much damage (although by the sounds of it, it might take a while to heal if it's that bad).. Just keep icing, and it will get better. And when it's not painful make sure you stretch, but not before, and don't over stretch.
    hope this helps!

b_r

They say I have a problem
    [QUOTE=wraith][QUOTE=joetilley76]Hey guys,

I don't know about time (Iím not racer so I donít really keep track of speed to much), but I do find that on a road bike I can definitely go longer and faster. I used to ride my mtn bike on the road with slick before I got road bike and I feel a lot less beat up at the end of a long hard ride on a road bike then I ever did on my mtn bike(same route).

The down side to road bikes is they are expensive. Low end entry road bikes (Sora grouppo) are going to be around $550 to $600. The mid range recreational level road bike (Tiagra grouppo) come around the $800+ price range and the high end recreational bikes (105 grouppo) are 1000+. And these are recreational road bikes not high performance road bikes, the prices on those can get insanely crazy.<O</O
    And you don't find the price of high end mountain bikes crazy??

At least a high end road bike will last you longer and require less maintenance then a high end mountain bike. This of course is assuming that you beat the mountain bike the way it is intended to be beat...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Two things to say here:

1. First off, congratulations on the race. I can only hope to have the balls to try something like this one day.

2. Kickstands?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    And you don't find the price of high end mountain bikes crazy??

At least a high end road bike will last you longer and require less maintenance then a high end mountain bike. This of course is assuming that you beat the mountain bike the way it is intended to be beat...

Rich
    You got me there. The hight end mtn bikes prices are pretty insane too. It just seems to me like mtn bikes are more affordable for some reason. Don't know why.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Finally, starting to heal!

It's been a couple of days. I have iced it a couple of times when I have been home, which isn't often enough. Finally I can walk up one stair without pain. Two stairs at a time however, even slow and controlled, is still a little iffy. Last night I tried doing a couple lunges while holding onto the end of the bed. I can do them, but I certianly feel the insides of my legs straining!

It really sucks when you are on the disabled list!

I'll try some stretching and some very low resistance movement exercises soon, like the different cardio machines at the gym on thier easiest settings. Hopefully soon I'll be blasting out 20 minutes of high intensity on the stepper again like I used to.

Lessons learned:

- Don't run out of water and keep pushing yourself hard
    - Pay attention to your legs in the gym, and do not assume biking alone will take care of them for you
    - Ice. It isn't just another 3 letter word!

Thanks for the advice guys. And I'll consider giving a sh*t about looking cool someday and then take the kickstand off.

phat giant
    Quote Originally Posted by joetilley76
    It's been a couple of days. I have iced it a couple of times when I have been home, which isn't often enough. Finally I can walk up one stair without pain. Two stairs at a time however, even slow and controlled, is still a little iffy. Last night I tried doing a couple lunges while holding onto the end of the bed. I can do them, but I certianly feel the insides of my legs straining!

It really sucks when you are on the disabled list!

I'll try some stretching and some very low resistance movement exercises soon, like the different cardio machines at the gym on thier easiest settings. Hopefully soon I'll be blasting out 20 minutes of high intensity on the stepper again like I used to.

Glad to hear that your getting better.. that's always a good feeling.. but what ever you do, don't be fooled with your progress.. like, I wouldn't do any resistance training yet that's for sure... If you start doing things when your body is still in pain, it's too early.. Only progress when it's painfree I can not stress that enough... If you do it too soon, you will just end up reinjuring the area and it will just take longer to heal.. I know it's hard not to be able to ride (or live a normal life for a while) I totally wrecked my knee a little while ago, and it was so hard not to hop on the bike and go for a smashing ride... but you got to do what your body tells you or it will be your worst enemy
    Anyway.. Hope you heal quickly and glad to hear of your progress..!

cheers
    b_r

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Just comment on the kickstand. Its not necessarily a coolness thing. If that sucker drops while your riding something rocky/ rough it could be an ugly situation. Loose it.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

Members who have read this thread: 0