1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Gary fisher wahoo or trek 4300?

Well I'm getting my first real mountain bike tomorrow. I'm weaning it down to the fisher wahoo or trek 4300. Both fit about the same, but I personaly think trek has a bigger name behind it's product. What the the pros on mtbr think about them?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They're both made by Trek, so they have the same name behind the product really.

You get a lot more bike for the money with the Wahoo as long as you like the unique Gary Fisher geometry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    +1 for the Wahoo. As far as I remember it has better components all around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I also vote Wahoo, I am biased. the one thing I will caution you on, if you want to get a pump you have to put it on the post below the seat. all other tubes with mounting points are shaped funny and most brackets do not work. I still love mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ok. Think i may get the wahoo.

What else will I need to get started? Shorts, camelbak mule, tools, spare tubes, tire tools, helmet. Anything else I miss?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Patch kit.

Also, the MULE's kinda big. I think you could get away with a smaller one. (Blowfish?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Might as well get clipless pedals and shoes if you can afford it. You're going to do it eventually.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you do decide to buy shoes and clipless pedals now, here is something I had to learn the hard way.

If you plan to ride the bike casually from time to time, buy the clipless/platform pedals. I bought straight clipless pedals and now I have to spend an additional $40 on another set of pedals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeyc
    If you do decide to buy shoes and clipless pedals now, here is something I had to learn the hard way.

If you plan to ride the bike casually from time to time, buy the clipless/platform pedals. I bought straight clipless pedals and now I have to spend an additional $40 on another set of pedals.

I thought about that when I got my pedals/shoes... But I just decided I'll never have a reason to use platforms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I use my bike for transportation. so carrying a backpack with combat boots in it is not ideal. And riding Wellgo M-3's like platform pedals sucks. Depends on how you use your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeyc
    I use my bike for transportation. so carrying a backpack with combat boots in it is not ideal. And riding Wellgo M-3's like platform pedals sucks. Depends on how you use your bike.
    I used to leave my uniform/boots at work back when I was in the AF. Although that's moot because I didn't have clipless back then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    Patch kit.

Also, the MULE's kinda big. I think you could get away with a smaller one. (Blowfish?)

The camelback lobo is a good size to look at also!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wahoo it is. Getting that and a trek Skye for my wife! Getting a few of the most needed accessories. I hope I like this. I sure hope I don't just flush over a grand down the drain if we don't like mountain biking!

mtbr member
    i have the wahoo disc and it is awsome i recommend it
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickcdb2000
    Wahoo it is. Getting that and a trek Skye for my wife! Getting a few of the most needed accessories. I hope I like this. I sure hope I don't just flush over a grand down the drain if we don't like mountain biking!

Don't be afraid to have your wife try some smaller mens bikes... You might find a better deal that way.

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickcdb2000
    I feel like I'm reading a post I could have written two years ago. I got a Wahoo for myself and a Trek 4200 for my wife.
    The Wahoo was a great starter bike, but I didn't gel with the geo (too stretched out). Now I have a Rockhopper 29er and love it. My wifes Trek is now a coat rack for my wet/muddy clothes after I ride. I should just sell it, but I manage to get her out once and awhile to ride a fire road when the weather is perfect

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for everyones input. I did get the wahoo and my wife the trek skye. Bought it, and all the trimmings to go with it. left the LBS went straight to the trail. Did a 15 mile ride and had a blast. First time either of us has ridden a bike in 10 plus years, needless to say we were give out! Not to mention the seat, we made the ride yesterday and i'm still throbbing in areas that shouldn't be throbbing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i'm a pretty big guy. about 6'2 around 230 or so. what would be the BEST and most COMFORTABLE seat I could buy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    One more thing. I did get some clipless pedals and shoes. I have to say I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner on his very first ride. But....closer to the end of our 15 mile ride I started to get used to them and like em a lot. But for any other person JUST starting out, make a ride or to with the stock platforms. After you get a basic feel for the bike then put the clipless ones on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I don't know too much about different saddles, but pricepoint.com has some seatpost with suspension built in. They might be worth looking into.