1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Gary Fisher/Trek Marlin

What do you guys think about a 2012 Marlin for 600.00? Is it a good bike? Is it made by Trek or Gary Fisher?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a 2011 it is about 4 months old. Good bike. It is made by Trek. Uses a GF frame. Good entry level 29er.

i looked at a 2012 recently. Has a nicer looking fork over the 2011. Some frame differences as well. nice in that green color.
    2011 Trek Marlin
    Shimano SLK Crank set
    Nashbar Pedals
    Avid BB5 brakes

mtbr member
    I wasn't looking at 29ers until now.

It seems like having that bigger tire size would make it harder to gain momentum.

I assume they are better for obstacles though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty_Lights View Post
    I wasn't looking at 29ers until now.

It seems like having that bigger tire size would make it harder to gain momentum.

I assume they are better for obstacles though.
    I don't think so. My backup bike is a cheap wally 26, and it seems harder to get up and going than my 29er. It for sure holds momentum much more over the 26.
    2011 Trek Marlin
    Shimano SLK Crank set
    Nashbar Pedals
    Avid BB5 brakes

mtbr member
    I believe 2010 was the last year that GF had his own line, sold to Trek, then they put out the 2011. From what I was comparing, my Marlin has a little better Fork (Dart 3 over ST), Cassette (9 over 8). My shifters are Deore, where as Trek Marlin has SRAM which are comparable to Alivio, not to mention same thing with Derailleur. At least I am pretty sure I am correct on them.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pretty good price for my area...I bought a 2011 Marlin for $579. I've since upgraded to a 2012 Mamba.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RabEd Ewok View Post
    I believe 2010 was the last year that GF had his own line, sold to Trek, then they put out the 2011.
    Trek has owned the Gary Fisher brand for many years.Trek bought the brand in 1993. What they did in 2011 was to reposition Gary Fisher. Instead of presenting Gary Fisher as a stand-alone brand, Trek now presents Gary Fisher as a "collection" under the Trek brand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 2012 Marlin. only about 100 miles on it in the last month. frame is nice. everything else will get upgraded as it fails.

overall it is a lot of bike for the money.

buy it you will like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Trek has owned the Gary Fisher brand for many years.Trek bought the brand in 1993. What they did in 2011 was to reposition Gary Fisher. Instead of presenting Gary Fisher as a stand-alone brand, Trek now presents Gary Fisher as a "collection" under the Trek brand.
    Ah, well now I have learned a little more about my bike. Good to know, Thanks!

Sorry was to the understanding that it was a stand alone company until recently.
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I test rode a Marlin a few weeks ago, loved its feel and got sold on a 29er. Now I'm out shopping for an entry level 29er. The Marlin at this point is my go to. I tried a Hard Rock yesterday and didn't like its feel. I also looked at the Wahoo, but tossed that out when I heard it doesn't have double walled rims. I'm going to test ride a Diamondback Overdrive this morning.

I had some gearheads look over it for me the other day. They said it specs out good. The fact is, at that price point about all parts are similar and it's a matter or price. The thing with the GF products is they use G2 geometry, which is supposed to be better for handling cornering and slow speeds, but its a bit more pricier for front suspension.
    You're not one with nature until you eat it.

Bike: 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty_Lights View Post
    What do you guys think about a 2012 Marlin for 600.00? Is it a good bike? Is it made by Trek or Gary Fisher?
    Yes it's a good bike, and it is made by Trek.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a 2011 Marlin for 3 weeks only putting around 20 miles on it. I loved the bike, but the shock seal came up and the brakes squeaked horribly. It was embarrassing having a brand new bike have so much noise coming from it. I took it back and my LBS upgraded me to a 2012 Mamba for a fantastic price. Trek stepped up for me. I also bought a Kaitai for my wife that she loves. My sons have a Jet 16 and a Trek Trikester.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    I have a Gary Fisher Advance, bought it brand spanking new a few weeks ago and it rides great. I'm sure the Marlin would be also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I picked up my 2012 Marlin yesterday. Spent a lot of time contemplating what I should purchase. I wanted to stay local and get a decent trail bike. If you can get it for 600 bucks, thats great. I got it for 629 CDN. So roughly 700 bucks. I love the way it rides. I took it out today on a semi-rough trail today and it handled fine. People speak poorly of Suntour suspension so I'm not trying to over do them but they seemed to work fine. Lots of give to them, absorbed a bunch of roots and hills. Anyway, I'd reccommend it as a decent trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6186653...in/photostream

Thats my Marlin. Poor image quality, sorry.

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailnurmouth View Post
    I had a 2011 Marlin for 3 weeks only putting around 20 miles on it. I loved the bike, but the shock seal came up and the brakes squeaked horribly. It was embarrassing having a brand new bike have so much noise coming from it. I took it back and my LBS upgraded me to a 2012 Mamba for a fantastic price. Trek stepped up for me. I also bought a Kaitai for my wife that she loves. My sons have a Jet 16 and a Trek Trikester.
    I had the shock sliders (they aren't seals, it's a coil/elastomer shock) come loose on my '11 Marlin as well. The LBS where I bought it took it in and replaced the sliders under warranty. Apparently, the early forks on the 2011 models have this problem, but Trek is standing behind them.

As for the brakes, I find that the brakes do take some regular tending to keep them running smoothly and quietly, especially if you take the wheels off regularly. An allen wrench of the right size (for the inside pad-to-disc clearance) and some adjustment on the barrel adjusters for the outside clearance should do the trick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've been considering the upgrade to a 29er and decided to go the Trek route. What's the big difference between the Marlin and the Mamba? Both seem like really good bikes imo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Mamba just has upgraded components. Forks are much better. You get Rockshox on the Mamba and Suntours on the Marlin. The forks could take more abuse on the Mamba. You could ride some heavier trails. But they are on the exact same frame with different colour schemes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kingoliver View Post
    The Mamba just has upgraded components. Forks are much better. You get Rockshox on the Mamba and Suntours on the Marlin. The forks could take more abuse on the Mamba. You could ride some heavier trails. But they are on the exact same frame with different colour schemes.
    just to add to this if the forks on the Mamba are are far as youwill go get the mamba. if you think you will ever upgrade forks get the marlin and do upgrades to it and save your cash

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I will say that the brakes on the Marlin do make alot of noise and need adjustment often

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah agreed. The Marlin components will do fine for now but eventually I'm going to upgrade as things break or just when I have some cash. And yeah my brakes are getting noisy already and i've only had the bike for 3 days. Definitely need constant manitenance. But yeah if you don't want to worry about upgrading then go with the Mamba. You should be set for a while with that. Either way is good in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrisp View Post
    I will say that the brakes on the Marlin do make alot of noise and need adjustment often
    I have had some issues with them being noisey. First thought it was break in, but after 130 miles still. LBS cleaned my rotors with some cleaner and all gone.

I had wiped my rotors with stuff to clean them, but I guess not good enough.
    2011 Trek Marlin
    Shimano SLK Crank set
    Nashbar Pedals
    Avid BB5 brakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    shopping for first mtb thinking about purchasing the cannondale trail 5 any opinions? please help as it is getting more and more confusing the more i read and debate

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    trek 4300 comes with hydraulic brakes while the cannondale are mech disc. big difference

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    just trying to get in my post so i can start a thread thanxs!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast