Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gary Fisher/Trek Marlin

54K views 101 replies 56 participants last post by  will110875 
#1 ·
What do you guys think about a 2012 Marlin for 600.00? Is it a good bike? Is it made by Trek or Gary Fisher?

#38 ·
Thanks kingoliver ...

I am so out of touch with biking 20 plus years out of the saddle !!!

Guy @ work leaning me towards the 29er and I was just "double" checking I was not missing something !! ..... So the 12 has improved components... such as ??..........Sorry to be a thickie !!

#39 ·
Bike model comparison - Trek Bicycle

They're pretty much the same deal. The components are the same with new model names. I haven't spent the time comparing brakes, shifters, derailleurs etc. but the frame is a step up and the fork is the same thing with a different name.

I would go with the 12', your getting what you pay for. The difference between them isn't crazy significant but if your not particular to either one then you should try and get a discount on the 2011. They should be able to sell it quite a bit cheaper than the newer model.

Edit- And the 12 comes with suspension lockout. I totally forgot that 2011 didn't have that. I personally waited for the 2012 to come out becase I wanted something with suspension lockout. I'm on the roads a lot and it's a great thing to have.

#41 ·
I bought my marlin last week only have ridden maybe 5 miles but I also noticed the brakes are loud I adjusted them myself yesterday so I will ride and see how it goes also going up a decent grade I was shifting and the chain came off but I did read some where that they do that at first but I love the way it handles it turns sharp and fast it's very responsive I love it so far I do plan on upgrading some stuff down the road

#45 ·
I bought a '12 Marlin. Singlespeed though.

The fork, I need to tune a little I think. I haven't touched the preload or the rebound adjustment, and I think I need to.

The brakes squeal, I've learned to live with it, but it is REALLY loud. Resin pads supposedly solve it, at the expense of some heat capacity. Seems worth it though.

#46 ·
I bought a 2012 green Marlin yesterday, rode home from the LBS. I noticed the fork bottoms out w/wo the lockout feature on or off when I get my front wheel of the ground. I went back to the bike shop and rode multiple models with similar price range and all behave the same.

Is this normal from a entry level suspension fork?
I have not rode in many years and eager to get back on the bike, I have never owned a suspension bike and the clicking is going to annoy me constantly on the road.

#47 ·
The springs in entry level forks are designed around an average rider weight, which they probably assume to be about 160lbs. If you weigh a lot more, it will definitely bottom out on you. Some forks have firm and extra firm springs available for them.

#49 ·
The Marlin was the first 29er bike I ever rode and it was very comfortable. The forks were ok for me but I'm only about 130lbs. The brakes made noise on the test ride and the LBS told me it would diminish as the brakes "broke in." I wasn't convinced. Also, the saddle was crazy uncomfortable to me. Despite the negatives I was still sold on 29ers. Thankfully my budget is tall enough that I can step up a couple levels, but $600 is a great price on the Marlin.

Anybody have any feedback on the Kona Kahuna? I'm down to that or a GT Karakoram 1.0. Hydraulic brakes and a higher quality fork were a priority for me.

#51 ·
I was told the same thing at my LBS when i tested this bike yesterday. He asked me how I liked it. I told him everything but the brakes...they didnt stop good and made a rub noise.

Also i was wondering the same thing about the fork as a poster above. I weight 180 and only got to test the bike on the street and i felt the fork was springy and would bottom out once I hit a trail.

Is a upgrade for a stiffer spring for a heavier rider usually available at purchase instead of the stock setup? or do you have to pay extra?

#54 ·
My observations on the Marlin after 200 miles.
Overall excellent entry level bike with a great frame and good platform to upgrade components. The fork is awful, noisy and not very smooth. The brakes are noisy and cant lock the rear to spray and fish tail stops. I was told by my LBS that all disc brakes wont lock WTF that's terrible. If I new that I would not have gotten discs. She is heavy and needs a diet at 33 lbs.
Only upgrades so far are gel saddle and platform pedals. I got the itch to upgrade the fork and or wheels for something lighter. Any suggestions?

Angel

#55 ·
My observations on the Marlin after 200 miles.
Overall excellent entry level bike with a great frame and good platform to upgrade components. The fork is awful, noisy and not very smooth. The brakes are noisy and cant lock the rear to spray and fish tail stops. I was told by my LBS that all disc brakes wont lock WTF that's terrible. If I new that I would not have gotten discs.
You're joking right? You should not be purposely skidding on the trails, it prematurely erodes the surface. Skidding = out of control. However... no, most disc brakes will lock up, it's just that yours are lower end and don't have as much power. The sound your fork makes when you pop up the front is called "topping out" and I've seen many different forks do this, even high end (Fox) ones. That being said, yes, the fork on the Marlin is definitely a budget choice and leaves much to be desired.

#59 ·
I am new to the forums, and just bought a 2003 marlin. This bike is very used, but everything works. I got it for $150 too, cant argue with that. For a first bike (since I was a kid) I thought why not. I read a little before buying and this bike had good reviews, I was mainly looking for something that would last and that I could upgrade myself. I was wondering what you guys thought and any pointers would be appreciated. I am looking for someone more knowledgeable than me, and some good guidance on what to upgrade first. Someone point me in the right direction? I will be using this bike mainly for riding with the family in the city, but I don't doubt I will be doing some trail riding as well at some point. I have already ordered Sram grips(it had none) and a new WTB Speed V comp saddle for it. Thanks in advance for any input.

#61 ·
What pedals are folks upgrading to? Looking for upgrade the pedals on my Marlin, not a fan of the stock ones.

Alex
Look out, you just opened Pandora's box.

For flat pedals, the hierarchy runs; pedals like the DMR V12, pedals like the Azonic 420s, and the expensive ones. Personally I'm running Straitlines. For clipless, a Shimano SPD Gives you adjustable tension and easy release. I'd stay on flats unless you're very comfortable on your trails and bike and have a reason to switch.

#66 ·
My bike is almost a year old and the fork has held up well for me and I'm around 280lbs.

This week upgraded the crank set to a Shimano SLX set. The crank set was my biggest conplaint next ot the pedals.

#67 ·
Waiting on mine to be ready at the shop getting the seat bar chopped down. Also just bought the dual platform/spd pdm324 pedal and agu aq34 shoes for 83,bucks at nashbar and that is with 2 day shipping. Shoes only20 bucks 44 for pedals 19 for shipping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.