1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Gary Fisher Piranha?? Need Help

Hey Everyone,

New to the forums, and semi-new to biking.

Anyways, today I felt impulsive I guess. I saw a gary fisher piranha come up online for 120 bucks, with a brand new ccm pump, a key lock and new bikemate seat.

Trouble is I'm not privy enough on bikes to know what I got. From the quick research I did I believe that it's an older model.

It's got Rock Shox Jett on the front forks (which to my understanding suck) but I'm not sure how to properly age it or for that matter to know if I got I good deal?

I figure 120 for a gary fisher in good condition is a bargain, guy was moving out east so hence why he was in a hurry to rid himself of it. It rides great and just has some minor scratches.

Ill try posting some pictures but can anyone tell me if I got a good deal or could let me know a bit more about the model I got (rock shox etc) Or what else I should look for on the bike so that you guys can help me?

Thanks a lot.. Appreciated.

T.W.O.
    I guess it depends on what year, check it on bikepedia.

mtbr member
    are you sure you got a piranha, i was doing a search and i didn't see the jet on the piranha. I did see it on the Wahoo,Marlin, Utopia. But i could be wrong, also be careful i saw they recalled the jett in 2001
    Not trying to scare you, just have it checked out.

RockShox received 23 reports of compression rods in these forks breaking, and two reports of injuries. Injuries included a concussion, a sprained wrist, scrapes and bruises.

Only 2001 Judy TT, Judy TT Special, Jett and Metro model RockShox front suspension bicycle forks are included in this recall. They have serial numbers beginning with "01." The serial number can be found engraved on the back side of the fork's crown and on a bar code sticker attached to the fork's lower leg. "RockShox" and the model name are written on the bicycle forks. These forks were sold as original equipment on numerous brands and models of bicycles. These forks also were sold separately.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys. Well obviously the forks have been switched on them then

Regardless for 100 bucks I probably dont think I could go wrong. I have pretty sweet trails literally out my back fence, so I wanted something to putt around on in the summer.

Here are some pics if you could help me further id it? Or tell me if I got a good deal.

Anything else I should look for? numbers etc?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Fisher Piranha?? Need Help-guelph-20120614-00071.jpg  

Gary Fisher Piranha?? Need Help-guelph-20120615-00076.jpg  

Gary Fisher Piranha?? Need Help-guelph-20120615-00072.jpg  

Gary Fisher Piranha?? Need Help-guelph-20120615-00074.jpg  

mtbr member
    that thing is pretty ancient. it's at least 10 years old, probably from the mid-90s. it does not come up on bikepedia for some reason. I think you can do better if you want a trail-worthy bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    that thing is pretty ancient. it's at least 10 years old, probably from the mid-90s. it does not come up on bikepedia for some reason. I think you can do better if you want a trail-worthy bike.
    Ah I'm not looking for anything too serious yet. Just something to get back into biking shape and to be able to enjoy the trails behind my house. For 100 bucks I dont think I could go wrong.. Got a brand new bike pump and a lock for it too. Just wish I could get more info on it.

Looks like i got a vintage haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I totally dig it. And if you like it, ride it till the wheels fall off.....then get new ones.

mtbr member
    looks like a pretty solid bike, i didn't see it on bikepedia.as long you like it that is all that matters, now get out there and ride it.
    Last edited by blumena84; 06-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Weird it's not on bikepedia. Based on the parts and the graphics, I'm thinking 2001. More so since you can find anything 2002 on on the Fisher site, and it's not there.

$100 ain't bad. Ride it till it breaks, and have fun. I have a mid-90s Fisher I'd still be riding if it didn't rust up on me.