1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Gary Fisher Hi-Fi for Downhill

Hey all. I'm new to the forum and not much of a mountain biker and looking for some advise. I ride and race dirt bikes and bought a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Plus some years ago after a broken leg and blown knee kept me off the dirt bike. The mountain bike was great rehab and a lot of fun. I still ride it on the mountain trails by me for exercise when I get bored of trail running. The trails I ride are very hilly, rocky and rooty and I can handle the downhills at good speed.Well, I just bought a condo on Killington and my season pass covers the gondola during the Summer/Fall for mountain biking. I am planning to take the Gary Fisher up next weekend and give it a try downhilling. I think I should change the clip on pedals to platform. Any other suggestions???

T.W.O.
    Don't do it It's not designed for downhill and it will break. Coming from DirtBike Racing you'd probably have good skills, you can no doubt get a run or 2 out of it but make that XC bike a reg DH bike is just not happening. Get a proper bike. You can probably have a lot of fun with Santa Cruz Nomad, Giant Reign X, etc. Long(er) travel All Mountain bike that can climb and still allow you to bomb down the DH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If they have rental's at the resort ,try one of those .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Killington has some runs that would be fun on your bike. Definitely go check it out; hit up their intermediate level trails and you'll have a good time. If you're comfortable on those, ask which of the harder trails are the least difficult. If you find that you dig it and want to do it regularly and step things up a little with regard to terrain and speed, buy a bike made for it. Yours will be fine for occasional days on the easier stuff, but if you want to bomb it, you'll beat it up pretty quickly.

If you do decide you ever want a real DH bike, there are a lot of screaming deals out there on used stuff. Check bustedspoke.com for local stuff for sale.

Here's a link to K's interactive map, click on a trail and it pops up a little video of it.
    When you do ride there at first - pay attention to where you are on the mountain with relation to where you board the gondola - it's easy end up riding down past it and having to climb back up. Don't ask how I know this.

Killington - Interactive Map

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh...and in addition to swapping to flats (if you're comfortable with them - I usually DH with clips unless it's really muddy, cuz that's what I'm used to riding), if you've got some big fat tires, or even better, a back-up set of tough wheels with burly tires, that would make a big difference. If you're brakes have the adjustability, I really like setting them so they'll actuate a lot closer to the bar than I do during regular trail riding. Helps a lot with arm pump. Other than that, drop the seat and have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Don't do it It's not designed for downhill and it will break. Coming from DirtBike Racing you'd probably have good skills, you can no doubt get a run or 2 out of it but make that XC bike a reg DH bike is just not happening. Get a proper bike. You can probably have a lot of fun with Santa Cruz Nomad, Giant Reign X, etc. Long(er) travel All Mountain bike that can climb and still allow you to bomb down the DH.
    Interesting, I was afraid of that. Well a new bike is out of the question right now. Dropped $10K+ on a new KTM race bike plus the new condo and season passes for the whole family. After watching a bunch of Killington helmet cam videos, the terrain doesn't look any more gnarly than what I ride at home. I know helmet cams can be deceiving. I hear there is some great single track in that area off the mountain. If I don't like the GF on the mountain I'll take it some where else or rent. Hell the Gondi ride is free right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Killington has some runs that would be fun on your bike. Definitely go check it out; hit up their intermediate level trails and you'll have a good time. If you're comfortable on those, ask which of the harder trails are the least difficult. If you find that you dig it and want to do it regularly and step things up a little with regard to terrain and speed, buy a bike made for it. Yours will be fine for occasional days on the easier stuff, but if you want to bomb it, you'll beat it up pretty quickly.

If you do decide you ever want a real DH bike, there are a lot of screaming deals out there on used stuff. Check bustedspoke.com for local stuff for sale.

Here's a link to K's interactive map, click on a trail and it pops up a little video of it.
    When you do ride there at first - pay attention to where you are on the mountain with relation to where you board the gondola - it's easy end up riding down past it and having to climb back up. Don't ask how I know this.

Killington - Interactive Map
    Thanks slapheadmofo. That's my plan. I've been checking out the bike deals each year when I start skiing in the Fall. They are nice. As far as getting lost, no doubt! I've been a passholder at Killington for 25 years and know the mountain like the back of my hand when covered in snow. After watching some videos I had no idea there were single tracks in the same woods I ski.

mtbr member
    I've never been to Killington, but the ski areas I have ridden in CO and UT have trails of all levels.

The second point is that you can ride any trail on any bike .

The only thing that changes is how you ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, everything looks way different w/o the snow.

It's been a good while since I've been up there, but as I remember, the run way out to skiers right, I think it was like 1-3-6, might be a good run to start out on.
    Oh, and they used to have some nasty waterbars on the access roads up there. Great way to break a collarbone if you get bucked by one going fast, so heads up.

Have fun.