1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

gary fisher advance disc???

called a bike shop(couldnt go in today, and they said they have trek advance's for $499. is that a good starter bike. im using it for commuting and trail riding maybe twice a week and commuting as much as possible. max money is $500 buckroos. going to some local shops tommorow
    Last edited by murderedout; 02-02-2011 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    do your research around here and you will see why a 3-400$ softail is really not a good idea (unless you get a killer deal).

for that price getting into a decent hard tail is difficult...

as for full face helmet i would not recommend then for other then DH or DT riding... for all mountain/trail/xc an open face helmet is fine.

can't comment on the K2 Nomad but have a look at it and if you get pictures post them here... its all in the components... what kind of fork, brakes, shifters, tires, wheels and so on...
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

ummmm.. what!?
    Not a whole lot of information on a k2 nomad 3.0. But, there is a thread on this forum somwhere stating the nomad is actually a ZED frame overstock clearance ***** sporting goods market specific cheaper components blah blah blah bike. Either way the last year this frame was manufactured was 2005. And that's best case scenario that you're looking at a six year old bike. I believe they started producing this frame in 2001.. so you could be looking at a ten year old bike. That's a lotta history and time where you probably wont get answers to what its been through. I would say be patient and keep scouring local craigslists within an hour or so and im sure you could find a great deal on a hardtail in the 300-400 dollar range.

mtbr member
    Go to bikepedia website to see specs on just about any bike. If it's a k2/proflex, there's a website/forum for them where you might be able to gather som info.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I'd get 2 used. 1 cheap rigid (no suspension), with some skinny slicks, maybe hybrid, or road bike for commute, 1 decent hardtail (front suspension) knobby tires for trail. You could buy both and get a better trail bike for that same 500 bucks.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    I'd get 2 used. 1 cheap rigid (no suspension), with some skinny slicks, maybe hybrid, or road bike for commute, 1 decent hardtail (front suspension) knobby tires for trail. You could buy both and get a better trail bike for that same 500 bucks.
    i dont have room for 2 bikes and would really like to get a begginer mtb instead

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Craigslist.

mtbr member
    Why would you want a beginers bike. It's amazing how many people go out and buy better than beginers bikes, ride it a few times, and then leave it in the garage for a few years till they make it to the classifieds. Especially this time of year. Sure, the bikes at the LBS look all nice and shinny under thier lights, but I like a bike for what it will allow me to do, and how well it's components work, not how shinny or scratchless it is but it's your money.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    The GF Advance looks like a decent bike for the price... i'm sure it would be fine for you. What the others are saying is true tho... lots of people go out and buy new bikes only for them to collect dust and to be put on CL in 2 years, try and take advantage of this... for $500 you can get a bike that was over double that 2 years ago...

Check out pinkbike.com as well for their buy/sell section.

by all means if you are new to the sport go to a LBS to get comfortable with the bikes, get sized and get a general knowledge of them as this will help you greatly down the road.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    I bought a 2010 GF Advance as my first bike. It was in my price range and knew nothing about bikes except that department store bikes suck. The LBS sold me on it and I rode it for about a year and a half. It was a good starter bike for me and I loved it until I rode the GF Cobia and realized how low end it was. It really looks nice, but it is what it is. While hind sight is always 20/20, it got me into MTB for good. I now have a 2012 Stumpjumper FSR and plan to keep it for a long time to come. Just didn't want to have to keep upgrading. I still have the bike and have had to repair/upgrade a few things but I only keep it as an extra bike for when my kids friends want to go riding with us.
    2012 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er