mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Garage sale that continues through tomorrow

Alright I'm a sucker, but this is almost too good to be true.

I recently got a bike used on Craigslist (trying to save our pennies). I like to work with my hands and have enjoyed getting my bike in better shape than when I purchased it.

The outdoor rec. folks where I work are having a yard sale and are selling 5 full suspension bikes (in all different shapes and forms of completeness). I felt good about just looking and thinking to myself just keep walking...you don't need a project. The bikes appear to be department store brands but are selling for $5. For a moment I thought about buying one just to mess with, or for parts, but then dismissed the thought and moved on.

I called my wife (our "accountant") and boasted about my ability to walk away and she was actually encouraging me to buy one.

My question is this would they be worth buying for the frames and then tricking out the suspension or should I just walk away?

Thanks,

Loren

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Go buy them all then put them for sale on Craigslist for $40 each. Or keep one to have for a friend to ride on bike paths. For $5-$25 you cant get screwed, you could take them all to the scrapyard and probably break even.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Would I be able to replace the suspension components?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenjz View Post

Yes, with other department used bikes parts

But seriously, you can put real suspension on it if you want. I did and it's fun for cheap

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Its probably not worth it if you want to upgrade suspension. Most of those bikes use the 1" threaded forks, whereas most quality forks are 1 1/8" threadless. So you would need a new headset and stem if you could even fit it in the headtube. Then in the rear even if you put a decent air shock on it, you are going to be limited by the horrible suspension geometry and heavy weight, as well as junk components.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    Its probably not worth it if you want to upgrade suspension. Most of those bikes use the 1" threaded forks, whereas most quality forks are 1 1/8" threadless. So you would need a new headset and stem if you could even fit it in the headtube. Then in the rear even if you put a decent air shock on it, you are going to be limited by the horrible suspension geometry and heavy weight, as well as junk components.
    Most of them now have 1 1/8 threadless fork, mostly suntour crap, but still possible to put a RS Dart and RS SID... then you can hand the bike to a friend when he come over and he don't have a bike and you will still have 4 other bike to take parts from when this one fail

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Most of them now have 1 1/8 threadless fork, mostly suntour crap, but still possible to put a RS Dart and RS SID... then you can hand the bike to a friend when he come over and he don't have a bike and you will still have 4 other bike to take parts from when this one fail

David
    Really depends how old they are. I had a full suspension Walgoose circa 2000 and it had a 11/8 threaded headset. And oh yeah, it weighed 43 pounds! I stripped the components for a projectt and the frame, seatpost, shock and fork alone weighed 25 pounds! Good quality FS bikes weigh that complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Really depends how old they are. I had a full suspension Walgoose circa 2000 and it had a 11/8 threaded headset. And oh yeah, it weighed 43 pounds! I stripped the components for a projectt and the frame, seatpost, shock and fork alone weighed 25 pounds! Good quality FS bikes weigh that complete.
    Yep, and cost 10 times more too...

David

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep, and cost 10 times more too...

David
    Yep, no doubt! But me personally I will never touch another cheap full suspension bike. That thing had pedal bob so bad it felt like 90% of your pedal went into moving the bike up and down, not forward. I don't know if that's typical or not, certainly not trying to spend anyone elses money for them!
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Yep, no doubt! But me personally I will never touch another cheap full suspension bike. That thing had pedal bob so bad it felt like 90% of your pedal went into moving the bike up and down, not forward. I don't know if that's typical or not, certainly not trying to spend anyone elses money for them!
    That's called compression... Pedal bob is the kick back the chain give to the crank when the rear wheel hit a bump...

And yes they are crappy to an extend, but for $5, it's fun for cheap.

David

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sounds to me like it's not worth adding parts to, but it's worth buying & seeing what you can do. Worst case, you rip 'em apart & learn the internal difference between a good bike & a crappy bike, something a lot of us still haven't seen. Best case, you clean it up & sell it for $40 on craigslist. See your your "accountant" likes that!

Picture Unrelated
    That's called compression... Pedal bob is the kick back the chain give to the crank when the rear wheel hit a bump...
    David
    Absolutely not true.

Pedal bob is pedaling induced bob in the suspension. That's why it's called what it's called.

Kick from the chain when you hit a bump is from chain growth.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenjz View Post

You may or may not be able to replace the suspension components. The fork is more likely to be replaceable than the shock. The shocks on those bike are usually unusual sizes and stroke lengths.

Are the bikes worth $5? Maybe. You did say you like to rebuild things so as far as a project goes they would be worth contenders. Don't expect to get them into a trail-worthy bike if they are indeed department store bikes and don't expect to be able to make a bunch of money off of them when you sell them. But as a project it could be fun, it will definitely be a good learning experience if you're not super familiar with how bicycles operate, and you could always donate the bikes when you're done if you can't sell them.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The accountant gave me $10 So I think I'll go find the best batch of parts I can and see what I come up with. This is only for fun and to learn more about suspension and mechanics. It should be a good time.

Thanks for all of the input,

Loren

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Absolutely not true.

Pedal bob is pedaling induced bob in the suspension. That's why it's called what it's called.

Kick from the chain when you hit a bump is from chain growth.
    If so, I'm sorry. I will double check my info.

David