1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

full suspension always noisy?

Found some video this weekend of guys doing drops on full suspension bikes that were not cut with music. Are all full suspension bikes always so noisy? Maybe it was drive train rattle and not the suspension but they actually sounded like they might be falling apart but it sounded like more noise than just a derailleur. I've got an old rigid mtb and a cross bike so I've not ridden trails on any kind of suspension yet, so maybe all bikes sound like this but I really got the impression that it was the rear linkages making a lot of noise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    depending on the bushings/bearings, how well greased, what kind of shock... you can get noises. if you are getting noises, you may want to do an overhaul. I know mine is making some creaks and groans now and then, so soon it will get its bushings greased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No they are not all noisy. Yes there is usually drivetrain sound, same as hardtails.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My FS bike is ancient and fairly low-end (2001-ish GT iDrive 6.0), and it's quiet, so I can't imagine newer and higher-end suspensions would be loud. You get chain rattle like you do on any bike over roots and such, but you don't really hear the rear suspension working any more than you hear the forks working, if that's what you're asking.

It's possible big drops might cause the shock to make some noise as it soaks up the impact, but in normal riding I don't hear a difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 97Ultra View Post
    My FS bike is ancient and fairly low-end (2001-ish GT iDrive 6.0), and it's quiet, so I can't imagine newer and higher-end suspensions would be loud. You get chain rattle like you do on any bike over roots and such, but you don't really hear the rear suspension working any more than you hear the forks working, if that's what you're asking.

It's possible big drops might cause the shock to make some noise as it soaks up the impact, but in normal riding I don't hear a difference.
    ah, yours probably uses bushings, and is either not used in wet conditions or mud terribly often, or you have been very careful with the hose when spraying off.

basically if your fs bike squeeks, give it grease. serious grease, like mobil1 synthetic chassis grease for cars. its a touch heavier than bike specific grease, but far longer lasting and is designed for much higher loads and speeds and washoff pressures and temperatures than bike greases. all that for a tiny touch less slipperiness.... another tip, use this good and thick in your headset and bb, and never worry of those again.

addicted
    raw video from bike mounted cameras can also pick up sounds and magnify them a lot more then you would actually hear.

Professional Speed Bump
    You're talking about chainslap noises and "snaps" from rear suspension, etc. The noises resonate through the frame and amplifies them as well.

On landing...all bikes will make loud noises.