1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: full suspension

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

full suspension

been on a hardtail all my life but rode a dually last 2 rides...trails out here are very rooty...i noticed i'd get a ton of pedal strikes on the roots now that i never got on the HT. how are you supposed to counter that?

BB height on HT is 12", on FS it is 13.4"

do i need to add some air to the shock? or is this something that is just going to happen now while pedalling over roots because of the rear suspension?

mtbr member
    Run the recommended sag in your shock and keep feel level when going over roots.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Fat-tired Roadie
    Is it a FS you own or a loaner?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: full suspension

this is a loaner but also building my own. do you have different advice for either?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yeah. Since you don't own it, you can buy one with more BB clearance.

Though rereading your original post, it's already a taller bike. Nothing wrong with playing with the suspension setup to get it to perform how you want, IMO. I wonder if it's sinking into its stroke going through root beds. You could try opening up the rebound damper a bit more if you feel like the sag and spring rate are already right. (Get those right first.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    been on a hardtail all my life but rode a dually last 2 rides...trails out here are very rooty...i noticed i'd get a ton of pedal strikes on the roots now that i never got on the HT. how are you supposed to counter that?

BB height on HT is 12", on FS it is 13.4"

do i need to add some air to the shock? or is this something that is just going to happen now while pedalling over roots because of the rear suspension?
    First of all, what are you doing differently between the two bikes. What kind of FS is this? Most likely, you have not have the suspension(f/r) set up for your weight yet, as well as the technique change, may be you are pedaling through the roots. Answer these questions you'd fixed the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I did the same thing when I went from Ht to FS, your're timing is off, your bike is eating the bumps so your're pedaling when on the HT your pedals would be level as you go over the root. The FS might be a tad longer as well throwing off your timing. If the bike was hitting the roots I would say you need air but its your pedals so its a timing issue, just my 2 cents.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY