1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Full face helmet woes

Just bought my first full face MTB helmet (T.H.E. T2 Carbon)...but it has an awful lot of movement from front to back (ie it rotates relatively easily so that my chin and mouth can be exposed). Is this normal for full face MTB helmets? I know some movement can be expected, but I'm not sure how much is okay. Same thing happened with a TLD D2 I borrowed, so at this point, it seems like a design thing to me...makes me quite concerned about the level of protection I'll really have in an impact near the chin area. Please comment on your experiences with this kind of longitudinal movement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The helmet should fit snugly on your head with very little movement at all. Many people will wear a full face wrong at first, pull the chin guard portion down so your chin doesnt stick out, and so the cutou area goes down to just above your eyebrows. If this doesnt help your issue you need a smaller helmet

B42
    mtbr member

Full face helmet woes

Your helmet should not move around. Put it on your head with the strap tight and wing your head around. It should stay in place. I've taken multiple face first crashes with my face still intact and only once received a small rash on the bottom side of my chin (from sliding face first on hard pack dirt).
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Should not move, maybe a you can get tiny side to side sway or little nudge up and down but not much movement at all. Definitely not freely moving while riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Full face helmet woes-screen-shot-2013-10-06-2.58.34-pm.pngFull face helmet woes-screen-shot-2013-10-06-2.58.03-pm.png

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The helmet fits snug and doesn't move around through "winging" and shaking my head around. Haven't ridden with it yet, but it feels snug enough that it wouldn't be moving around.

As you can see above however, I am able to pull the helmet quite far upward, even with the strap tight. Seems like a strap placement thing. If it were closer to my chin, I don't think it'd rotate so much; however, it resides pretty close to the neck-jaw interface, and easily rotates backward around that axis.

Anyone care to do a similar experiment and show pics so I have something to reference?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How much force did you use to make it move that much? How difficult is it to put on your head? I have pull mine farely hard to get it on my head .I don't think it should move that far back. You should try other helmets ,the only helmets that used to fit me me were Bells.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Not very much force...it's not too hard to put on my head either. But I've always worn medium helmets and don't think a small would fit. I got that helmet at 70% off from Jenson USA, so I'd be hard pressed to find a nicer one for the money...but if it don't fit, it don't matter how nice it is. Grrr...Maybe I'll try to exchange it for a small anyways and see how that goes. Or maybe I can do some larger pads...the shell itself already feels pretty tight. ...maybe there is a reason they we're selling that helmet for 70% off. Nobody bought 'em cause they don't fit*t for sh!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    TLD is a nice helmet, but won't fit everyone. Helmets and shoes are two of the things I never buy without being able to try it on anymore. I wouldn't try to get a small before trying some other brands on. The LBS should be blowing them out about now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wouldn't ride with that helmet fitting that way. Should fit tighter in my opinion.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass