1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

full face helmet carry system / sling?

is there any sling or similar type carry system I can buy or make for a full face helmet?

Riding up 8 miles + of tough uphill with a full face helmet is just so hot and hard to breathe compared to normal top of head helmet.

But i need helmet for the downhill sections / jumps.......

So I would like to ride up with helmet off and then ride down with helmet on?

Picture Unrelated
    ...few things bother me more than seeing riders going uphill with their helmets off. You have plenty of opportunity to be struck by downhill riders or making a mistake that drives you into the ground while riding uphill. I'm bothered more by road riders doing it though and I know how bad it sucks to pedal in a FF so my suggestion is this fantastic pack:

http://dakine.com/p/bike/packs/guys/nomad

Scroll down to see the FF carrying system. It can also carry your pads if you'd like.

Be safe out there.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    ...few things bother me more than seeing riders going uphill with their helmets off. You have plenty of opportunity to be struck by downhill riders or making a mistake that drives you into the ground while riding uphill. I'm bothered more by road riders doing it though and I know how bad it sucks to pedal in a FF so my suggestion is this fantastic pack:

Scroll down to see the FF carrying system. It can also carry your pads if you'd like.

Be safe out there.

didnt think of someone riding into me, that is possible

falling over riding uphill on a fireroad though, I would think i have same odds of getting hit by lightning

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    falling over riding uphill on a fireroad though, I would think i have same odds of getting hit by lightning
    You'd be surprised how often it happens. 'Nuff said about that though.

mtbr member
    i don't use the nomad's helmet carrying capabilities, but i have and love the pack...

B42
    mtbr member
    I put my arm guards in my pack, leg guards in in the outside pocket, and my helmet strapped to the outside of my pack. I use a Camel-bak MULE. The outside flap is perfect for attaching through the full face of my DH helmet. Most of the time I ride it's up a closed road. When I'm doing a little XC before the DH I'll wear my XC helmet and strap it to my pack on the way down.

Pictures of it all put together:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post

Be safe out there.

btw bag looks sweet I ordered one thx

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    btw bag looks sweet I ordered one thx
    It's a great bag, you're going to love it.