1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Fuji Tahoe SL?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Fuji Tahoe SL?

Hello! I am wanting to get back into mountain biking after several years of road bike commuting and have the opportunity to purchase what I believe is a 2007 or 2008 Fuji Tahoe SL for $300 in pretty much new condition. From the specs and reviews this looks like a nice bike but I cannot find a lot of information on it and BikePedia does not give what the suggested retail was but the reviews seem to show people paying $900-$1100 new for this model. This also seems to be the year prior to Fuji offering a 29er.

From my commuting experience I want to start with something I can grow into but need to balance the budget as well.

Does anybody have experience or opinions on this bike?

Thanks!

matt

There's no app for this.

the Fuji site

only has 29er SL models for 07 and 08. http://www.fujibikes.com/Mountain/Pe...Tahoe-PRO.aspx They offer the suggested retail.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Jim thank you for the response. I saw the same thing and thought it was weird that the SL was not mentioned.

The bike probably has a total of 20 miles on it and looks almost as new. According to the bikepedia link:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e+SL&Type=bike

...the specs seem nice with RockShox Recon 351, Avid Juicy 3 brakes and Sram x9 rear derailleur. For $300 does this sound like an ok deal?

sorry to sound like such a newb...part of my confusion with this is the sram components.

There's no app for this.

Yes and no...

It's a great deal, but ONLY if the bike fits you (think of shoes on sale, if they don't fit, how good is that deal?)

SRAM parts spec is fine, the fork is good, be aware the geometry is that of an XC race bike, so it won't be a great all mountain trail ride, but it will be excellent for a starter ride....again, IF IT FITS.

Did I remember to mention FIT?

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So i'm sensing that fit is important . That was an important part of my commuting experience so i'm all over it.

Again thanks for your response and knowledge on the components.

matt

There's no app for this.

More clutter...

I guess I should have pointed out that the SRAM parts equivalent in Shimano world would be something like Deore drivetrain and an XT rear dérailleur. If that helps. But overall, a really good spec for that price, actually, more like a steal. Good riding, Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Jim, thanks for all the help, I absolutely appreciate it. The bike was $350 but I still bought it and the fit is excellent and rides like a dream. From what I can tell the Recon fork alone is over $300 so I feel like I got a great deal. It looks brand new with only dust from hanging in a garage all year.

I'll post a picture in the photo thread this weekend.

matt

Rub it............
    The Tahoe SL was avail in a 26inch wheel in 2007. My boss has one. But they offered it only in the 29r flavor for 2008 and 2009. For 2010 the Tahoe is avail in both the 26r and 29r.

The retail on the Tahoe SL would be in the $1000 range when it was new in 2007.

You got a really good deal for $350 bux with only a few miles on it. The Recon fork is a great idiot proof fork for XC/Trail riding. It just works.

The X9 is equal to Shimano XT, the X7 stuff is equal to SLX.

I ride a mix of X9/X7 on my Kona FS bike, and have full X7 on my Fuji Tahoe 29r. Great stuff.