1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

New question here. fsr xc comp 2009 or giant riegn1 2009?

Hi I could get one of these bike for about a little more than 1k each! The fsr is brand new at my lbs and the giant reign is used with about 1000$ in upgrade on it! Two really different bike I know. I get more from the giant but it's used and no warranty. The FSR seems less well equiped but I get a warranty and it's brand new! I lean a little bit more toward the giant because I lean more toward all moutain biking!

What do you think?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It really comes down to what type of riding you plan to do with it and how the Reign was treated. If the Reign never had suspension service done, is in poor overall shape, etc... you will end up spending more money on it just to get it in good riding shape. If the Reign is in good shape, that's the one I would go for personally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012