1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Front vs. rear wheel upgrade

I want to get a wheel but can only afford one. Should I get a front w/tire or just a rear?

mtbr member
    why?
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A front wheel will have the biggest potential impact on your riding experience. Especially if you have a bike that needs a better fork. Like all the bikes sold with X forks.
    Those Suntour forks weigh 6.2 lbs.
    A decent air fork can drop 2 pounds off the front of your bike. Add a light wheel with 15mm thru and a good light tire. You will have a transformed bike maybe 5 pounds lighter.

And it is way cheaper to build a front wheel yourself. A very good way to learn.
    30mm inside hookless carbon rim with Sapim Lasers/brass nipples.
    Bead hook-less rims carbon 29er light bike rim tubeless compatible, outer width AM 35.00/30.00mm & XC 27.00mm - carbon rim (beadless) - Carbon Bicycle,carbon frame,carbon rim,carbon wheel,carbon wheelset,carbon mountain bike,carbon road bike CarbonBi
    Last edited by eb1888; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    I want to get a wheel but can only afford one. Should I get a front w/tire or just a rear?
    I would go with a front wheel first and start saving money for the rear immediately.

mtbr member
    Keep saving until you have the money to buy a wheelset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't see the point in replacing a random wheel. If you don't know which wheel to replace they don't need replacing. Save your money for something worthwhile like a fork.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I don't see the point in replacing a random wheel. If you don't know which wheel to replace they don't need replacing. Save your money for something worthwhile like a fork.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    Here's why:

I've bent my front rim twice in the last three weeks. Once on a drop, the other cornering too hard. I weigh 220 on bontrager duster rims. The wheel bending caused me to wreck both times. This is my first season riding at n* and so I'm sure they--and I--won't last long if I continue to use them. Thus, there is the reason. I figure I can just ride a bit smoother until I can afford both wheels, it'll work out well.

I was more or less just trying to get feedback on which wheel people would upgrade if they could only do one and why.

Anyways, I went ahead and got a wtb frequency i25 rim laced to black dt Swiss comp 14 gauge spokes and a gold hadley hub for the front. Time to start saving for the rear and a fork.

Also, are the any 650bx2.5 tires besides the wtb breakout?
    or any really good 650b dh tires for that matter?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Front vs. rear wheel upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    or any really good 650b dh tires for that matter?
    Maxxis Minion DHF is incredible for the front. I'm using a Honey Badger on the rear; it's surprisingly capable and it survived a day at Keystone with no problems. But the DHF is really really great for the conditions I ride here in Colorado: lots of loose gravel on hard pack and big rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    UPDATE: It's a good thing I just got the front wheel because the LBS called me earlier today to let me know that my front rim was bent beyond re-true. Really stoked to be getting the wheel new wheel in the mail soon!

Anyways, I am riding a 2014 fox talas 34 ctd, so it'll cost some big money to really upgrade the fork and I wanna get that rear wheel taken care of first. Thank you to everyone for the fork advice though.

As for the tires, Maxxis High Roller 2 might make its way there, but I'll definitely look into the DHF, conditions sound similar to CO.

mtbr member
    Not sure why u would be recommended a fork when running those forks already. Forks are fine. Wheels for some reason trek seems to think those wheels are best for bikes when they can't withstand crap if u weight more than 170lbs.

Get the rear wheel, and then rude it like u stole it and don't worry about upgrading anything unless u break something else.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

It's working!
    Did you simply try more air in you tires? If you bottoming out and wrecking the rim you jyst need more air. I am 220 and never bottomed out once.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk