1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Front tire rubs on left fork under hard braking??

I recently had my coil Suntour replaced with a Rockshox Recon. Today I was noticing that when I brake hard, the front wheel shifts left and the front tire rubs the fork. I also noticed that the front tire is not centered but to the left?

How can I fix this?
    Should I bring it back to shop? Maybe they did something wrong?

Thanks

mtbr member
    your quick release skewer is loose. or it's a flimsy skewer and you should get s stronger one. I had this problem at one time and learned very quickly why CLIX skewers have such a bad reputation for mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    your quick release skewer is loose. or it's a flimsy skewer and you should get s stronger one. I had this problem at one time and learned very quickly why CLIX skewers have such a bad reputation for mountain bikes.
    I don't know what skewer it is but it came on my Felt Nine Trail. Any recommendation on a stronger skewer?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I don't know what skewer it is but it came on my Felt Nine Trail. Any recommendation on a stronger skewer?
    Shimano. Anything deore level or above will do an excellent job.

MTB B'dos
    Take it back to the shop, show them the problem and ask them to explain about the QR skewer and proper installation so you know what you're doing. Also ask them to check the dish of the wheel - easy way to check is to flip the wheel in the fork and if it's then offset to the right, then your wheel dish is off. They may also want to check the lowers as Rock Shox had some issues with previous fork lowers being off and causing this exact same problem.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    ^agreed. get a bike shop to check your wheel dish and QR installation first. if that's not it, there may be a defect in your fork.

a LOT of people install QR skewers incorrectly or just not tight enough, so don't feel bad if you're doing it wrong. How to install a quick release skewer on a bicycle - YouTube