1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

front fork advice?

hey guys,

I have a 2012 diamondback overdrive 29er 18" frame with a sr suntour xct fork. I have been looking into purchasing a better front fork as I can no longer stand riding the pogo stick. I was looking at purchasing the rockshox xc32 tk w/poploc which i found online for $240 plus w.e installation will cost me, guestimating $50 for a total of roughly $300
    RockShox XC 32 TK w/PopLoc (29-inch) - Brands Cycle and Fitness

So I started looking to see if for just a a little more I could just buy a better bike (used) with better components and I came across this in my area specialized rockhopper
    Its a specialized rockhopper listed for $300. The listing says it has a
    [SIZE=3]"rockshox adjustable fork 85-130 mm travel" which from the pictures I am assuming it a recon silver? After doing a little searching I noticed the rockhopper never came from factory with more more than 100mm of travel. So assuming this fork was installed aftermarket will the longer travel fork mess with the geometry of the bike? and/or should invest in the new front fork for the overdrive from a value and performance stand point.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]btw i am 5'8'' 160lbs and ride in south florida, amelia, markham, and oleta for those that are familiar with the area.

Thanks in advance for the help and input.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For $200, although currently backordered for 45 days, you can use the upgrade program from Nick at Suntour for a Raidon. About the equal of a Recon Gold but it uses a sealed oil damper for no maintenance.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    Is that bike the best size for you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    thanks for the reply eb , yea i think I am going to like the standover height of the 17" frame on the rockhopper, as the top tube on the 18" frame diamondback overdrive feels a bit high. I also looked into the raidon upgrade but since its on back order 45 days and its $225 shipped I figured the rockshox xc32 with the poploc remote wasn't a bad alternative for $239 shipped. Also can anyone identify what year rockhopper that is in the ad and if the ad seems legit?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerod553 View Post
    I also looked into the raidon upgrade but since its on back order 45 days and its $225 shipped I figured the rockshox xc32 with the poploc remote wasn't a bad alternative for $239 shipped.
    A step up from the Raidon.
    Amazon.com : 2015 SR Suntour Epicon XC MTB Fork (29", 100mm, Remote Lockout, Air Spring, QR 9mm, Black, New) : Sports & Outdoors
    Amazon.com : 2015 SR Suntour Epicon XC MTB Fork (29", 100mm, Remote Lockout, Air Spring, QR 9mm, White) : Sports & Outdoors

2001 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp FS - New and Used Bike Value

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    +1 on that epicon, idk about the raidon or roxshock, but the epicon can be set at 80-100-120-140mm, a lot of setups to try in one fork.. that rockhopper don't seem too bad with the upgrades either, u could throw a lower offer, do u need 2 bikes tho?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Im going to vote against the rockhopper. It looks like he is riding that sucker at full travel 135mm i guess and that frame is not meant for anything beyond 80mm or 100mm. It has a 203mm Front brake rotor, I'm pretty sure that fork is only rated for 180mm max. Besides all that the flat pedals and set up make me believe this bike was used for some urban or jib riding thats going to be hard on a bike even with the correct fork size. I would say your better off upgrading the fork if you don't want a new bike. The raidon is a good fork for the money.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by joel787 View Post
    +1 on that epicon, idk about the raidon or roxshock, but the epicon can be set at 80-100-120-140mm, a lot of setups to try in one fork.. that rockhopper don't seem too bad with the upgrades either, u could throw a lower offer, do u need 2 bikes tho?
    I am pretty sure the non tapered head tube on the 29er epicon only has 100mm of travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnieron12 View Post
    Im going to vote against the rockhopper. It looks like he is riding that sucker at full travel 135mm i guess and that frame is not meant for anything beyond 80mm or 100mm. It has a 203mm Front brake rotor, I'm pretty sure that fork is only rated for 180mm max. Besides all that the flat pedals and set up make me believe this bike was used for some urban or jib riding thats going to be hard on a bike even with the correct fork size. I would say your better off upgrading the fork if you don't want a new bike. The raidon is a good fork for the money.
    Thanks for the insight , makes sense.

I am considering getting a new bike, since lately I have been riding alone because my buddy that got me into riding moved to nyc recently. So I figured its easier to get my friends/fam into riding with a spare bike on hand......or at least that what I tell myself.
    But if I cant find a decent bike (preferably 29" or 27.5) with an air fork for around $700 or less I will just end up ordering that epicon. The only bike I have found so far is the marin bobcat w/ the raidon fork but I figured I could find a decent used bike in that range?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You will be hard pressed to find a good new bike with an air fork at that price point but not impossible I would still keep your USED options open. The thing about when I get a new bike I'm forever in a state of If I go $200 bucks more I get this then If i got only $200 more from that I get this. Just really narrow down what you need and save a bit a get there.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerod553 View Post
    I have found so far is the marin bobcat w/ the raidon fork but I figured I could find a decent used bike in that range?
    Use the Marin as a base level for comparison against used. Used is used and can mean some added expenses sooner than a new.
    A 2012 Trek X-Cal would be better and should be in your range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i have the epic on 26 version, then i went with a manitou marvel 29er a step up, but should have saved my money and got the epic on..

Amazon.com : 2015 SR Suntour Epicon XC MTB Fork (29", 100mm, Remote Lockout, Air Spring, QR 9mm, Black, New) : Sports & Outdoors

how u can adjust the travel

Adjusting the travel on the Suntour Epicon X2 | MUDDYGOOSE

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by joel787 View Post
    i have the epic on 26 version, then i went with a manitou marvel 29er a step up, but should have saved my money and got the epic on..
    thanks for the info , I know that is going to come in handy. When you purchased your epicon, did you get it off the ebay/amazon listing or did you do the suntour upgrade program? Because on the sr suntour site the epicon only show as if it is sold with a 15mm through axle setup and not the 9mm qr version, as listed in the amazon ad.

Btw the 29" epicon fork can be adjusted to 120mm, 100mm and 80mm travel and the 26" can be adjusted even further to 140mm travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The epicon on amazon from China can be a 9qr, thats what i got this season. I paid the extra 15 for expedited shipping and got it in 8 days. I have it set at 140mm and really like it. It's a little flexy but not too bad, and its very plush. I was looking at the recon gold, but that was twice the money. I'm really happy with the epicon. Price weight and performance.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Epicon is a pretty underrated fork for the money. I opted for the nicer version of the Epicon with 15mm axle and low speed compression to replace a 2013 Fox 32 Float CTD on my Stumpjumper. I honestly couldn't be happier with the fork...it feels a lot better than my previous fork, very plush and predictable.

IMO, one of the best aspects of the Epicon, and most of the nicer Suntour forks, is ease of maintenance. They have a thin grease inside the lowers instead of an oil bath, which makes for very simple service and cleaning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Subscribing