1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    STINKY TOFU

New question here. Is Front disc brake drag normal?

So being new to hydraulic brakes or even disc brakes for that matter Iwas curious about something. My front disc seems to drag on the inside pad. Its not major but when you spin the front wheel you can hear it slightly dragging on the pad. I took a look and it appears to be the inside pad (closest to hub). I checked and it dosnt seem to have any adjustments.
    FYI the brakes are Tektro Auriga Comp.

Former Bike Wrench
    There are two bolts...one above and one below the caliper. Loosen these bolts to adjust side to side of the caliper. The easiest way is to loosen the bolts enough for the caliper to move freely side to side (but no excess play), squeeze brake lever several times, holding it the last time, and tighten the bolts before releasing the lever. This will usually center the caliper...or at least get it close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    not normal... brakes are always adjustable.

STINKY TOFU
    hhmm I was able to center it but its still dragging, possible its just a design flaw? Thanks for your help though, I'll add this to my mental rolodex.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhead08
    hhmm I was able to center it but its still dragging, possible its just a design flaw? Thanks for your help though, I'll add this to my mental rolodex.
    sometimes you have to move it by hand to get it just right

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I found that adjusting discs are really ez, but it becomes impossible if your rotor is not true. Check if this is the real problem.

STINKY TOFU
    I actually considered that. I suppose to bring it in next week for post break in adjustments so I'll have them check it then.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You may have a sticky piston or the axle may be moving around in the dropouts.

It may also be a single side piston caliper that will require the fixed side to be adjusted.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhead08
    try the same thing that mtbiker72 advised but put a business card between the pad and the rotor (put it on the side u think is rubbing)...so loosen the bolts, put a business card in, squeeze the levers a few times, squeeze and hold the lever, tighten the bolts while still squeezing the lever, then remove the card.....