1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Front derailuer: LX vs. XT

Someone gave me an XT front derailuer to put on my bike Spec. Epic, which currently has LX, however, i'm not seeing any differences between these two pieces. What are they? Will I notice a difference in performance? Is it even worth it?

Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would be surprised if you could notice a difference...

Unshaven Yak
    It's not worth the trouble to do it now. The weight difference is negligible and while the XT is of better quality and will last a bit longer it wouldn't be worth it to me to mount, recable & dial in a new front d-r until at least the front cable cries for replacement. You may notice a slight improvement in performance with the XT but it doesn't sound like the LX is giving you grief.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".

mtbr member
    Well, I was too impatient/bored and went ahead and did it anyway. I kind of just wanted the experience too. With the help of a youtube video, it wasn't all that bad. hopefully i didn't screw anything up. Seems to be dialed in but I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I ride it to work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    xt looks cooler

usually cranky
    your bling just increased by 2%. and your bike is a couple grams lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You should be about 2x times faster now......

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    doubt there would be much of a difference. for trail riding if you get in the mud sometimes different front derailleurs clear mud off of the surface better allowing for faster and easier shifts. id doubt there would be hardly any difference on an average trail.

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've always heard that in addition to being a few grams lighter, the high end Shimano components are more mud/dirt tolerant. So you'll probably notice a difference if you race or do marathons.

I have an LX front der on my AM and an XTR front der on my hardtail - they both perform about the same. But the XTR looks a lot cooler.

OnTheTrailAgain
    The difference will become noticeable at the extreme range of your riding.

This is where the XT will shine over the LX.

When it comes time to do the hard work, the XT will have it all over the LX.

Plus, yeah to the rest...bling factor goes up, more trail cred, etc...