1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Front derailleur problem help!

I got a bike from the internet. It came 80% assembled. I put most of it together but I noticed the chain was off. I geared the front and back to the lowest gear and i put the chain on the biggest cog on the back and the smallest at the front. Now when i try to shift the front up i see the derailleur move but it just moves enough for the chain to start grinding against it but it doesn't change it into another gear. I tried the high and low screws but they have 0 effect on the bike. I tried moving the derailleur up and down. The problem now is that the first gear in front doesnt grind, i switch it to second and it starts grinding in first gear then i switch to third and it moves to second and starts grinding.

Please help if i cant get anything done im going to take it to the LBS

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The middle front chain ring is controlled by the cable position. It will take you about 30 minutes to learn this. It is worth it. Don't forget to screw tight the barrel adjuster at the shifter. After you ride a few times you can use this to retune it when out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The low and high screws do nothing at all.

Also I can't move my derailleur out to make the 2mm gap perfect. Its so stiff it takes so much force to move even a tiny bit

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What seller, bike, derailleur. Does it appear bent or damaged?
    You should be able to hook you middle two fingers behind/through it and put your thumb on the large ring. Then squeeze to move it and release to let it return. The 'H' screw when you loosen it will let it swing out more.

Watch this one too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    the screws only stops the derailleur so the chain does not fall, they offer no other adjustments, that said...it seems like ur not putting enough tension on the cable so is not doing the full "pull".. put the shifter in the lowest gear then put the handle of a screw driver behind the derailleur so whenever u let it go the cable would have enough tension... youtube some vids, its nothing to freak out about

Fat-tired Roadie
    Parktool.com has procedures for pretty much everything on a bike. Sounds to me like you need to start over from the top. Don't forget your barrel adjuster, when you're pretty much done.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Its like the front derailleur does not even have a position to shift into third. No matter what position i have put it in it will never shift to third

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    loosen the limit screws, put the derailleur as far as u can and wedge it so u can tighten the cable, then adjust limit screws..

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Alright i tried to do it again. No luck. I can get the bike to shift into gear 2 if i select 3 on the shifter. It stays on gear 1 when i select 1 and 2 on the shifter. It does not shift to gear 3 at all. I tried to move the derailleur up and down with no luck. Also the chain hits the cage. The L and H screws have 0 effect and the barrel adjusted does almost nothing. Im stuck right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds like you are one of those riders who may be better off having someone show you how to do it the first time.
    Take it to a shop and ask to watch the tech adjust it for you. You will pay a small amount but learn how to do it.
    I'd suggest REI or Performance if you have one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks guys I'll take it over to my local bike store

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds like you lined up 2 and 3 on the shifter with 1 and 2 on the crank.

I've never done that of course.

Your shop should have no problem getting you sorted. Definitely get them to show you the barrel adjusters when you're there.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does the derailleur clear the big chain ring if you move by hand? The derailleur needs to be about 2mm above the chain ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I had problems too with fd. There's a good bike shop within riding distance, so I called to see if a walk in would be ok. The guy I talked to chuckled and said "front derailleurs suck don't they" and told me to come on up. They were busy as hell but I was in and out in half an hour and I never asked what I was doing wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This is just something you have to play with until it's right. Look online for a tutorial and get at it. If you bring it to a shop you'll never learn. It's not magic, it's actually pretty simple once you figure it out.

From your last post it sounds like you don't have enough cable tension. Set it to 1,pull it snug try again. You want to move the low adjustment screw so that the cage is near the chain. Then move it to 2 and see what happens.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk