1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Front Derailleur issue

Hey all - 2011 Giant Trance X4 here. I did a short ride around my neighborhood this morning, about six miles or so in a tough gear to help build up some leg strength and endurance and whatnot...nothing different I've been doing past two weeks or so

When I went out front to ride with my boy, my FD shifting is crazy off. I can't get it to get onto the 2nd cog at all and it keeps falling off. I played around with my chain and tried to manually put it on the third cog and it just keeps falling off.

I just took the bike in for a tune up and got it back the other day and today was the first day I rode it...any ideas on what it might be? Or should I just take it back to my LBS?

T.W.O.
    May be it just need a little tune up. It could happened from a bump during transport, it it's off my that much check all the cable stop it may have gotten loose or not all the way in the slot.

Picture Unrelated
    Sounds like cable tension, is there a lot of slack in the cable when you shift into the first gear in the front?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    If you paid for a tune up bring it back. If you wanna learn how to do it yourself, watch a few youtube videos of front derailleur install and adjustment. If a picture is worth a thousand word, then a video must be worth a googol.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Took it to the shop - somehow, I'm still trying to figure it out but my FD got all bent out of shape. Guy at the shop said it looks like someone smashed it and they just need to readjust it to bring it in line. $8 fix is all - I do want to learn to do this stuff myself, one day anyway