1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Front derailer troubles

I'm having trouble adjusting my front derailer on my Forge Sawback. I read up on what I needed to do and watched a few tutorial videos and still managed to screw it all up.

First, let me say that I think this may be a cable problem, but I'm not 100% sure.

Ok, so here's what I did...

Shifted into biggest ring in back, smallest ring in front
    Unscrewed the front cable tension allen bolt to make the cable loose
    Tightened the front shifter's barrel and adjusted two clicks outward as per instructions
    Set low limit screw so chain wouldn't rub front derailer in any rear gears
    Pulled tight on the front derailer cable and tightened allen bolt
    Shifted into smallest ring in back, biggest ring in front
    Set high limit screw so chain wouldn't rub front derailer in any rear gears

Now, this is where things got weird... I shifted back into the little front ring, then when I went to shift back into the big ring, the shifter became hard to push and the derailer wouldn't move the chain to the big ring. I went back to the little ring, and the cable went very slack. The cable didn't break or anything, but it seems like something isn't quite right with it. If I adjust the high limit screw outward, the derailer will half shift onto it, but it skips badly and the derailer can't be adjusted any further. If I manually hold the shifter to its extent, the chain will sort of settle onto the big ring, but it still rubs.

Hopefully I explained this clearly enough. Let me know if there are any foggy areas and I'll be happy to explain in more detail.

Any help is greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nevermind, I found the problem after messing with the thing all day. The cable was frayed inside one of the rubber covers, causing it to bind up.