1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: front derailer

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

front derailer

Hi, my chain falls off sometimes between the biggest chainring and the crank. I have a XT front derailer, but there is no H or L on the screws like on the rear derailer, can somebody tell me which screw is the high limit please? Thanks a lot.

local trails rider
    The easy way: take a good look at the simple mechanism and see for yourself what each screw is doing.

More time consuming: read the manual. If you do not have it download it from Shimano's website.

mtbr member
    What perttime says. What I sometimes do is shift into the largest chainring. That will extend the front derailler so that it is easier for you to get a look at the limit screws. One screw should be touching the derailler. The other screw should be obviously not touching. The screw that is touching is the limit screw that controls the outward direction (towards the big ring).

You could also do the reverse: release all derailler tension, look at which limit screw is touching, and that is the lower limit screw.

Generally, the screw on the inside controls the outward movement, while the screw on the outside limits the inward movement. Generally, but not always.