1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: freewheel slop

mtbr member

freewheel slop

Was practicing stepping up by climbing the curb in front of my house. I noticed as I positioned my feet in preparation for a push to get over the curb, I had to rotate the crank forward about 1/4 -1/2 a turn before the freewheel engaged & I was able to power the rear wheel.
    Tips, hints, suggestions?

beater

freewheel slop

This is why people get excited about "points of engagement" (POE). It's a measure of how far your hub has to rotate before it engages. Generally speaking, higher cost hubs (Industry 9, Chris King, Hadley) engage sooner. Other quality hubs like DT Swiss and Hope aren't as fast, but still have their benefits.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    No hub instantly engages? So I need to start with my foot a lot higher & figure out the exact POE.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Putting way to much work into climbing a curb. Simple step ups like that just need momentum. I get up normal curbs no problems if its on the taller side I just leave it in whatever cog or only 1 bigger so I have minimal movement for engagement. And biggest reason for how much u have to rotate is too low of gear for ur speed. Smaller rear cog, the "faster" the rear hub will engage.

Beyond that ull need a high dollar hub.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    I was practicing in a technical fashion using balance & brakes. I can hop a curb.
    Just got this bike & disc brakes are new to me so I need to find the sweet spots.
    Bike balances well & the brakes do their job. Feeling pretty comfortable with it .

Fat-tired Roadie
    Just never stop pedaling. Then points of engagement don't matter.

In seriousness, yeah, it's normal. I don't notice it, but I'm sure I've developed some kind of weird habit in response to typically riding bikes with inexpensive rear hubs.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Trying to develop my tech skills. Balance, hops & steps . It's pretty challenging for an older fat man. I can do basic trail riding skills. Since I don't have the time to make it to real trails very often I am building my skills any way I can. I hope my local outlaw hole/trail dries up soon.
    Sucks living on the plains.

mtbr member
    I'm feeling the constant wet trail issues, u can keep ur rain quit sending it my way

I guess I dont notice my lower engagement anymore and have gotten in the habit to shift if I don't feel the tension on my pedals. But too I dont bother with going full technical skills like that. Just not interested in it for myself, but those I see do it I always think how awesome it is to see pull the sweet moves where I either have to slow way down to try and negotiate or walk it.

Ull get used to it. Only point I know that helps is dropping to smaller cogs in the rear. Trade off is power needed to move goes up. More u ride and practice more ull find what works and how to make nuisances work for u instead of against u.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, since you're getting some of the other view, I just thought I'd mention that I spent a few weeks one winter working on specific technical skills. Wheelies, bunny hops and manuals. I never could find the balance point for a wheelie, but it's the same action as a kind of front wheel lift I use constantly on uphill singletrack. On a similar theme, I'm back to cheating my bunny hops, but I got a lot smoother. And manuals are, IMO, a necessity to negotiate a descent with drops with any kind of speed.

So I bet you find what you're doing useful for actual trail riding, once the weather where you are lets you back on the trails.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    If it really takes up to 1/2 of a turn (180 degrees) for your freewheel to engage then I'd say there's something wrong with it. It might be less and feel like 1/2 a turn. Play with it off the bike and measure.

mtbr member
    In answer to my rained out condition.
    I ride sometimes in a playa lake. There have been some 4 wheelers and dirt bike riding there and cut a few trails. We had some almost drought buster rains
    in the last few weeks. It is pretty full but going down. Once it does dry up I can go back to riding it.