1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

freeride with a cannondale f8

good or bad idea?

think i will break something? haha

Fat-tired Roadie
    Not a great idea. It's not really made for that.

It's still a mountain bike, so the wheels don't have to be on the ground all the time. But you shouldn't be doing big lines on it either.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    what about with a all mountain bike?

mtbr member
    If you have to ask this, you aren't ready to be freeriding.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckropp View Post
    If you have to ask this, you aren't ready to be freeriding.

Ha ha, so true I don't think the F8 would make a good Freeriding anyways, the geometry is well suited for XC buy not FR. Plus the frame is pretty light I doubt that it can take a lot of repeated abused. Chase is more of the frame you want for that type of riding.

mtbr member
    i guess lol

i just find myself wanting to go faster and jump higher every time i ride(i know it sounds lame).

i tryed the freeride trail yesterday but i didnt do the big jumps or jumps with the japs, i just did the other stuff. i liked it.

i was looking around online for a bike for that and came across the 2011 santa cruz nomad. i asked about the am because its listed under the am bikes but it says in the intended use thats its for am/fr, so i just wanted to make sure.

T.W.O.
    [QUOTE=Say What Now?;8324985]i guess lol

i just find myself wanting to go faster and jump higher every time i ride(i know it sounds lame).

i tryed the freeride trail yesterday but i didnt do the big jumps or jumps with the japs, i just did the other stuff. i liked it.

i was looking around online for a bike for that and came across the 2011 santa cruz nomad. i asked about the am because its listed under the am bikes but it says in the intended use thats its for am/fr, so i just wanted to make sure.[/QUsOTE]

Santa Cruz make some sick hardtail like Chameleon and Jackal. I was shopping for a DJ bike the choice I narrowed down were Jackal, Voltage Ltd and Giant STP, the Used STP was available so I took it. They are more fun to do that type of riding than the XC Frame for sure.