mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Is a Freeride bike right for me???

When I was younger I messed around some on BMX and have been riding mountain bikes on and off for the last 5 years. Now that I'm out of school and have a little more time and money I'm looking to purchase a new bike. Bikes have come a long way since my old Trek 6000 but I think a Freeride type bike is what I'm looking for. I have about $800 to spend and I'm pretty sure a good full suspension bike is going to cost at least twice that much so I'm thinking hardtail is the way I'll need to go. I ride mostly singletrack trails and really enjoy the downhill technical stuff. I'm not a big fan of those epic uphill cranks but most of the trails I ride do involve a little uphill. I like doing wheelies, hops, small jumps, etc and I'm very intrigued by trials riding. I'm assuming a good hardtail freeride bike would serve well as an all-arounder for the different types of riding I mentioned???

Here are the bikes I'm considering:
    Marin Rocky Ridge--Seems like a good out-of-box bike with a good fork and quality components. I can get one for $850 from my local bike shop since I'm also buying my wife a comfort type bike at the same time.

Kona Stuff--Looks like a good bike for the money, a little cheaper than the Rocky Ridge, though I've heard they have weak stock rims.

Diamondback Apex--About the same price as the Kona but I'm not to keen on my local shop that carries Diamondback.

I'm looking for input on these bikes as well as other suggestions. Thanks!!!

Darth Nader
    I believe Haro Escape should be right around your budget as well.
    BLOG: http://dirtyrubber.blogspot.com
    Latest entry: 06-13-2005 Annadel Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbordwine
    When I was younger I messed around some on BMX and have been riding mountain bikes on and off for the last 5 years. Now that I'm out of school and have a little more time and money I'm looking to purchase a new bike. Bikes have come a long way since my old Trek 6000 but I think a Freeride type bike is what I'm looking for. I have about $800 to spend and I'm pretty sure a good full suspension bike is going to cost at least twice that much so I'm thinking hardtail is the way I'll need to go. I ride mostly singletrack trails and really enjoy the downhill technical stuff. I'm not a big fan of those epic uphill cranks but most of the trails I ride do involve a little uphill. I like doing wheelies, hops, small jumps, etc and I'm very intrigued by trials riding. I'm assuming a good hardtail freeride bike would serve well as an all-arounder for the different types of riding I mentioned???

Here are the bikes I'm considering:
    Marin Rocky Ridge--Seems like a good out-of-box bike with a good fork and quality components. I can get one for $850 from my local bike shop since I'm also buying my wife a comfort type bike at the same time.

Kona Stuff--Looks like a good bike for the money, a little cheaper than the Rocky Ridge, though I've heard they have weak stock rims.

Diamondback Apex--About the same price as the Kona but I'm not to keen on my local shop that carries Diamondback.

I'm looking for input on these bikes as well as other suggestions. Thanks!!!
    My LBS carries them too, and I think the Stuff would be a nice choice. If you want a bit better component spec, the next model up is the Roast, which comes with hydraulic brakes, you might see what they go for at that shop. You can check the specs at http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm