1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    banned
    Mar 2011

freehub a way to tell?

I found a lot of freehubs on Ebay for like 12 dollars to 700 dollars. Mine is what I assume to be a cheap one, because it's just a DB response from *****.

I have an Sram 8 speed cassette on a XTB Weinmann 24 wheel. How do I tell what the freehub is without removing the cassette?

They told me ot replace the entire wheel, but screw that...My wheel is fine, it's the freehub that broke and I don't want to keep putting to much money into this Response.

T.W.O.
    The logo/brand should be on the hub. 8 spd and 9 spd is the same. You can't just replace the hub without relacing the rim. It's cheaper to just buy a new wheel set than fixing the cheap one of course if you also need the front as well.

The price of the hub+labor is going to kill the saving.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    The logo/brand should be on the hub. 8 spd and 9 spd is the same. You can't just replace the hub without relacing the rim. It's cheaper to just buy a new wheel set than fixing the cheap one of course if you also need the front as well.

The price of the hub+labor is going to kill the saving.
    All I want to do is remove the cassette so I can remove the "freehub" the ratchet part, not the entire hub itself. My freehub is all f'cked up and totally locked. I just want to swap it fo ra new one and go riding again. I don't feel like "waisting" and entire wheel if I can just replace the freehub.

I plan on doing the work myself to save money plus I want to learn to fix everything on my own bike.

My biggest expense is collecting the special tools and there are many to collect, but I plan on staying in this so it's a wise investment in the long run(no shop charges to do it for me) plus I can fix other people's bikes for a little money....and so on.

banned
    Mar 2011
    I have a broken tooth and three of the cogs are kinda wore out.... Still though, if it doesn't slip then I'll keep using it...I don't believe in replacing everything over the slightest wear. On a road bike it may be different, but on my mountain bike where I pound the crap out of it....I'll run a part till it can take no more. Unless of course it's about safety(brakes, forks ect...

banned
    Mar 2011
    On my Response I really don't want to buy entire new wheels or upgrades, she's old now and beat, so I just want to keep her patched up without spending tons...so new wheels are out of the question...I just want to replac ethe actual broken part and keep riding.

It woul dbe a shame to junk these wheels....it doesn't shimmy one bit after all that riding.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede_Illusion View Post
    I have an Sram 8 speed cassette on a XTB Weinmann 24 wheel. How do I tell what the freehub is without removing the cassette?

They told me ot replace the entire wheel, but screw that...My wheel is fine, it's the freehub that broke and I don't want to keep putting to much money into this Response.
    The hub/rim/freehub body combo on the Response is an entry level wheel, obviously, and it may be cheaper or more feasible to replace the whole wheel assembly. But, if you want to find out if just the free hub body can be replaced, take it to a shop and have them pull it apart for you. Maybe there is a compatible FH body available and it will likely be in the $25-$35 range for the part plus extra for the install labor ~ $20-$30.

OR, buy the tools and do it yourself, saving the labor and learning some wrenching skills in the process.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Former Bike Wrench
    You need to know the brand and model of the hub. If it is a Shimano hub, it will be pretty easy to find a new one. If it is a no-name hub your probably going to have to remove it and run down to a LBS and see if they got anything to match up. They might not, some of the hubs are pretty disposable these days.

I4NI
    And the there's the freewheel(The OP stated 8 speed)
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post

OR, buy the tools and do it yourself, saving the labor and learning some wrenching skills in the process.
    I like this hobby a lot so I guess, even though it's a cheapo wheel, I want to try and fix it myself merely for my own satisfaction and to save a wheel that is still straight...
    But yes, the universal answer to my problem is to replace the entire wheel....but I hate waisting things....the wheel is still straight and lookin good.

Plus I don't want to get another wheel and have it a different color...I lik eto keep my ride lookin like it came from the store and no twanting many colors on it making it look like a junker.

I just wish I had a back-up wheel...I haven't rode in over a week now and it's bugging me! I gave away the Mongoose to a poor kid I know.... So I don't even have that anymore.

So yes I guess I'll get some tools and tackle this myself...I woul dreally like to know bikes a little more anyways....it can be fun to work on em and the satisfaction of saving money and having it work is priceless hahah.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post
    I think he has a freehub body and cassette. They come in 7 and 8 speeds.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post

I just learned about freewheel and freehub...mine is definitive a freehub although I think the freewheel makes more sense.

I sau 8 speed because the rear cassette has 8 rings....correct?

FKA Malibu412
    I sau 8 speed because the rear cassette has 8 rings....correct?
    yes

T.W.O.
    Like Malibu said check the rebuild parts if it's available you are in good shape. As for the tool you'd need a chain whip, and cassette lock ring. Most internal of the hub is just allen and some nut wrench. Oh be sure to have some space to work on some of the pawl spring may pop out if you loose it you have to replace it and not many shop stock them, don't ask how I know it

Grease it and put it back together you are done. I just rebuild my Mavic SL it's not that hard just a little patience.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Just found this on Ebay! Weinmann Alloy 26" 7/8spd Disc Rear Mtn Bike Wheel QR | eBay

It is a original Weinmann alloy 26 inch MT bike rim with the complete hub and freehub assembly. All I have to do is put my cassette on it. Says for 7/8 speed cassette and 6 bolt rotor disc.

39 dollars....would this be a good deal you think?

FKA Malibu412
    39 dollars....would this be a good deal you think?
    Pretty decent. Then you can fix your old free hub as a backup wheel. I have about 2-3 backups for my cheap wheels. Never know.

T.W.O.
    Pretty decent. Then you can fix your old free hub as a backup wheel. I have about 2-3 backups for my cheap wheels. Never know.
    Yep, that's a good idea. $4 shipping for a wheel it's cheap, dirt cheap pun intended.

banned
    Mar 2011

Yepp.. I believe it's a direct replacement, even says built for Diamonback and the name of it's different a bit, but I believe it's the same exact wheel I have just a newer version.(mine is 2006)

I'm still going to fix my old wheel just for the experience and a back-up...

Waiting around sucks.....so it looks like my colection of spare parts is starting to come into play...

It's all good

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Yep, that's a good idea. $4 shipping for a wheel it's cheap, dirt cheap pun intended.

Just paypaled it.......

Could take another week to get here....

I'll have to borrow dad's old 1976 Sears bike....three speed and do some road riding....